cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
Sharon, I've learned over the last few months that at the toughest times guardian angels appear when you need them most! You kitties will be well loved, and you're right - the legacy lives on.

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this tough time!
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone...

Just wanted to give you all an update on my cat problem...as you may remember we were evicted out of our warehouse and had 2 older cats that could not come home with us do to the size of our apartment and landlord say she would prefer that they not stay...... so we need3ed to find a home for the...all the rescue groups in our area are so full with a lot of folks losing their homes and kitten season starting...they said that finding a home for 2 older cats could not be done by them...we were down to having to take them to the animal shelter and risk have them put down.....I posted the story here and the Old Fella spirit lives on...

Gentle Spirit who live here in So California...emailed her friend and found a couple that would take our babies.....today my husband and I delivered them to Oceanside a 300 mile round trip and 8 hour drive...in to the hands of 2 wonderful people....the love cats and were happy to help us out and add then to their family of rescues....

We left their home with only a little tears and the knowledge that they will be fine....It felt like the RIGHT place for them......

Thank you so much Gentle Spirit....and and the spirit of Old Fella.....
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
chemisd wrote:
It seems ridiculous that we couldn't make it to the Ohio Rally...being that we are so close. We have to go to MD for a high school graduation that may or may not happen depending on if he got the senioritis out of his system. We had thought that if we are that close should hit Washington DC while there, but we haven't made reservations for either and would like to beg off...so I see it as we could then go to the rally, but of course would suffer the wrath of the MIL....ooooohhhh...I shiver even thinking of that.....maybe the boys and I will drive there without hubby and camper.....

Jana, would be nice to see you all since it has been over 2 years since you have camped with the group. Hope we didn't scare you off.:B
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
I am so glad that you are taking all the furbabies to the rally, I sure wish i could make it, perhaps next year
RIchard I wondered where you got the Joint Strong?????? Is it tablet or powder??? Now that Elizabeth is finally eating again, I need to start her on something like Joint Strong. She has be diagnosed with deformities in her hips and will need total hip replacement in BOTH hips. She is not showing alot of discomfort at this time and I want to prolong the surgery until she gets over this "eating disorder"

camplaffalot .....welcome to the thread

Joint Strong

It is powder and has really made a big improvement with Mama and Peaches. The vet was talking about surgery for Peaches, but the Joint Strong got her back on all four feet. She is running and playing without pain.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
It seems ridiculous that we couldn't make it to the Ohio Rally...being that we are so close. We have to go to MD for a high school graduation that may or may not happen depending on if he got the senioritis out of his system. We had thought that if we are that close should hit Washington DC while there, but we haven't made reservations for either and would like to beg off...so I see it as we could then go to the rally, but of course would suffer the wrath of the MIL....ooooohhhh...I shiver even thinking of that.....maybe the boys and I will drive there without hubby and camper.....
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
I am so glad that you are taking all the furbabies to the rally, I sure wish i could make it, perhaps next year
RIchard I wondered where you got the Joint Strong?????? Is it tablet or powder??? Now that Elizabeth is finally eating again, I need to start her on something like Joint Strong. She has be diagnosed with deformities in her hips and will need total hip replacement in BOTH hips. She is not showing alot of discomfort at this time and I want to prolong the surgery until she gets over this "eating disorder"

camplaffalot .....welcome to the thread
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
HobbsHauler wrote:
Richard, did the other rescue come and get all of Cy's kitties?

They are all gone.

Wife Sue

HobbsHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, did the other rescue come and get all of Cy's kitties?
Him and Me
'07 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Tundra Toad
Tandem Tow Dolly
Harley, Road King
Klancy Mae, our Irish Setter

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled on time with 3 people, 2 labs, and one cat in a carrier in an F150 extended cab. Mom turned out to have pneumonia, which we didn't know until after we had picked her up. I was in a wheelchair due to being non weight bearing on one knee due to surgery. All I could do was drive because Mom had to get in and out in the passenger seat. So Jane rode back with all the animals and got in and out through the sliding rear window. Went to see the sand hill cranes in Nebraska. Well worth the trip. Never again!! That being said, we rode commonly with the crate and dogs and got along fine. there is now more room in the pickups that back in the early 1990's. You will make it fine, Richard and Sue, with 2 small and 2 big dogs!!I am so happy Hobo and mama get to go.

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CampLaffalot (King) wrote:
I'm new here and this is the very first topic I clicked on.. Reminds me of a similar incident we had while camping in Franklin, NC..

A very friendly stray dog came by our site looking for food and just loved the attention we gave him.. We discovered he had a rope collar embeded in his neck. To make a long story short, he was taken to a vet, the collar removed, and given all the care needed..

He spent the summer in our park and was adopted by a couple visiting from GA.

We have a "Yorkie" and thats all we can handle, beleive me..:B

Welcome to the Old Fella thread, the longest running thread in RV.net history. I hope you come back regularly to visit and post as often as you like.

Wife Sue

CampLaffalot__K
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new here and this is the very first topic I clicked on.. Reminds me of a similar incident we had while camping in Franklin, NC..

A very friendly stray dog came by our site looking for food and just loved the attention we gave him.. We discovered he had a rope collar embeded in his neck. To make a long story short, he was taken to a vet, the collar removed, and given all the care needed..

He spent the summer in our park and was adopted by a couple visiting from GA.

We have a "Yorkie" and thats all we can handle, beleive me..:B
Don

My Indian name is: "RUNS WITH BEER"

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I especially enjoyed your post this morning. I felt like I could almost see those sweet dogs there in your yard.

What a nice way to begin the day. ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
SPECIAL ATTENTION

Anyone thinking about coming to the Old Fella Rally, please get your reservation in this week. They are going to release the sites as of 5/9 as they have another Rally coming in after us and some want to come early. They are going to use the whole campground. You can see what is available on Page 1 of the Old Fella Rally thread. If you reserve, please let me know.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue and I have made a decision about taking all four dogs with us to the Ohio Old Fella Rally. We will take Hobo, Mama, Peaches and Suzie with us. The trip is about 600 miles one way so it will only take us about a day and a half to get there. I think they will travel well even if it is cramped quarters in the truck. Who knows, maybe a rich realitive will leave us an F350 quad cab for the family to travel in.

Hobo has really found a special place in Sue's heart. She is such a sweet girl and has really overcome a lot of her fears. When we were at the park and all the children came over, she stood her ground and allowed the children to love on her without trying to pull away. She is beginning to trust more and more. I am surprised at how well she walks on the lease. She doesn't pull and try to drag you along when we walk, but she gently walks beside you following your lead. Of course she never takes her eyes off of Mama who is always walking either in front of her an beside her. But Sue and I change up sometimes pairing Hobo with Suzie or Peaches instead of Mama and she does well. She is so afraid she is not going to please so she is always making sure she isn't going to get fussed at and looking at you for approval.

Mama is doing so well and is not showing any signs of walking in pain with her hips and rear legs. She has picked up on a new game, chasing the squirrels in the back yard. It is so funny to watch all four dogs when they go out the back door run to the large Pecan tree and chase the squirrels up the tree. Mama will watch the squirrels run up the tree and then along the branches to jump to the pine trees as if she is going to catch one in her mouth if it should fall. She barks with excitement as she races along the ground under the tress as if she were young again.

What a joy it is to see an old girl and her daughter adjust to their new home and become a loving part of the family. There are times I burst out in song and praise thanking God for the gifts He has given. I cannot tell you how much love is in an older dog until you experience for yourself. There is a treasure beyond words found inside these wonderful animals that have experienced life and are now in their golden years. Charlie, Fella, Levi and Mama all bring special memories to the heart of one who thought he had experienced it all only to find out there is more to come that will teach compassion and endurance and it is never over until the angels sing the last chorus of "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound."

Wife Sue

wmshaw55
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Suzie ran around my legs wrapping the leash tightly around my legs trying to get away from all of those midgets trying to get their hands on her.

That made me laugh heartily!
Thanks!

Bill