cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

nonameperson
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy FOOF sorry it has been so long since I have been on here, illness and campground working interfered!!!!
We are 'parents' of rescued dogs Lady, a very fat rat terrier, and Snoopy a very fat beagle.
About 2 months ago aneighbor caught a female beagle in his animal trap, I think he would have shot her, but Wally said, bring her up and put her in our yard and we will take her to vet to be checked. she wouldn;t let us near her, and had a look of fear and hate in her eyes. It wasn;t long before we figured out she was gonna have pups.
Last week she presented us with 5 black puppies, probably daddyis a black lab. until she was able to get up and really move around we could pet her, etc, andI put a collar on her, butnow she is feeling better, she doesnt want to be touched by humans. She is a very good mother to the puppies.

we are a foster home to all until such a time we can find goodhomes for the pups, we will probably keep the mother, who we named Lucy, because I think a change of homes would just stress her out all the more, of course she will be taken to vet for a bit o

f surgery as soon as possible.

Sue, and Rich, sure miss you guys, when are you going to come up here camping?

Nina

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning FOOF's Spring has sprung and it is fairly nice here in the Buckeye. Today is to be a little cool with 49* now and only a high of 60 today. Talked to Richard the other night. He is at Camp Dixie on a trial run with the new tires and suspension. Said it seems to be smoother and rode good. Sure hope so as it would not be a Rally without Richard and Sue in Ohio for the Old Fella Rally. We are planning on having a couple of auctions at the rally. More details are listed in the Ohio Old Fella Rally thread. Do hope to see some of you folks that I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting and a bunch of those that I have met.

All you FOOF's and your furkids have a good weekend and a very safe and happy week upcoming.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I thought you might be interested in this article that appeared in today's Denver Post. It seems like we have discussed a few of these findings many times on this Forum and on this thread:

Canine emotions
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
maltese-lover2 wrote:
Good morning all,

No Gary, it's not easy being a foster but when you find just the "right" fit, its all worth it. I should talk, huh? ๐Ÿ™‚ We are failed fosters in the past but we now have three so wish us luck.

Gigi

That's the problem with Kala, she hasn't had a "fit" yet. She was scheduled to be adopted, but the potential home fell through because of her on-leash problems. Fosters also reported "wild" tendencies, although her behavior in my house and RV were good. She almost escaped once, though, while on a leashed walk during the trip. I saw her this morning (she remembered me and the dogs) and Telma told me her husband is having some success getting her to walk better using a light harness. She said that the galgos in Spain are often allowed to run free through the fields, and it will take time and patience to break these habits. I'm hoping that they may fall in love with her and give her a home before the Gathering ends.

Update: Today I heard that Kala does have a home awaiting her in Canada. I hope it works out. She will always have a place in my heart, even though I only had her for a day.
Gary Shapiro
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Gentle Spirit wrote:
...I pray for the same happy outcome for Kala.

Me, too, Carole.

I've been wondering about Wolfie...how's he doing these days?

And I've also been meaning to thank you for your efforts in finding a home for the two cats recently. ๐Ÿ™‚

Very special!

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning all,

No Gary, it's not easy being a foster but when you find just the "right" fit, its all worth it. I should talk, huh? ๐Ÿ™‚ We are failed fosters in the past but we now have three so wish us luck.

Gigi
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
Kala - a sad story, hopefully one with a happy ending. It's surprising that with time and love how a dog can "come out of it's shell". My friend has a dog that her daughter rescued and couldn't handle, so gave it to my friend. When she first got the dog, Fannie, she couldn't find her and thought she had run away! Turned out she was hiding under a chair in an upstairs bedroom for a day and a half. However - Fannie (who is probably about 12 yrs old with cataracts and almost blind) has blossomed. She loves her daily walks and has now started barking a greeting when they come to my house, she also no longer hides under chairs - what a difference. It's been about a year since she came to live with my friend. It feels so good when she comes up to me and roots at my hand to be pet.

I pray for the same happy outcome for Kala.
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I am now at the RV Corral in Kanab, Utah. Kala is a sweet little girl who is only 2 years old, but has been through so many homes already that she is somewhat lost. She was very skittish, and was frightened of me, but had begun to warm up to me before the end of the trip. Last night, she wouldn't eat or play and just wanted to lay on the leather couch. The dogs are not allowed on the couch, but every time I chased her off, she seemed more afraid and skittish, so I finally put down some blankets to protect the couch and let her stay there. By bedtime, she was finally able to eat some dinner, and let me pet her. She slept quietly through the night and was no trouble at all. She did seem to be a little frightened of Dash, although he did not show any aggression towards her, but he does tend to act a little bossy, in the typical herding dog style.

This morning, the dogs were loaded into the RV. Lily immediately went into the crate, where she normally rides, so Kala found the dog bed at the back of the RV and spent the trip quietly. Dash, as usual, stayed on the couch. At one point in the trip, I came back from pumping gas to find Kala in the crate. Lily stayed temporarily on the couch, and Dash was stuck on the floor, but at the next stop things reverted to the previous order. Kala was quiet and well behaved during the trip, and did her business on leash, although she did pull quite a bit. The woman from GRIN and her husband had some problems with blown tires on their trailer (appears to be a lot of that going around), but was here when I arrived. She came over to pick Kala up, but Kala seemed reluctant to go with her. Kala is now in her trailer, but I kind of miss her, even though she was so frightened and unresponsive. She is supposed to be picked up by an adoption group from Canada, who will try to find a home for her. The way I see it, though, the more hands she passes through, the more difficult it will be to find a forever home for her.

I think I can now begin to appreciate what fosters do, and how important and difficult their job is. They may have to take a dog that may be shy or afraid or skittish and make them comfortable around people, themselves in particular, and then they have to give up the dog and start all over again with a new one. It is not surprising that there are many "failed" fosters, but kudoes to all.
Gary Shapiro

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to Forest River my camper has a new look and a new ride. The trailair Equa-Flex system seems to make a difference. The ride home was different and seemed to be smoother.

The plastic fender skirt will be replaced Monday when it comes in. I just can't figure out the maker of this tire? It has "Power towing" and "Trail Express" also.

By the way, Mama, Hobo, Suzie and Peaches will all be going with us to camp Dixie this weekend. It will be Mama and Hobo's first trip with us. Let's see how the old saying goes; Two's company, three is a crowd, four is too many and five isn't allowed.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This morning after the fur kids had their breakfast and I finished with my shower Hobo and Suzie met me at the bathroom door wanting to go outside. I opened the door for Hobo and Suzie when suddenly Mama came rushing by trying to get to the pecan tree first to chase any squirrels that might happen to be there. Mama looked up to the branches of the large old tree and began to bark and strut around daring any rodent of a squirrel to venture close enough for her to grab it.

Mama was joined by Hobo and Suzie barking and looking for any signs of life running in the tree. Not this morning, nope, all the squirrels were either taking naps or had moved on to other yards filled with hidden fruit buried long ago to fill their hunger.

Peaches wasn't having any part of this charade as she lay sleeping on the couch beside Izzie. She had become wise to the ways of the tree roaming rodents and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Soon all was quiet in back yard and the three ladies began walking about sniffing the ground to see if any intruder has crossed the fence line during the night and entered their domain. All seemed well until Mama noticed something moving quietly among the dense bushes close to the fence line. Sure enough there was something alive and moving as if sneaking, trying to stay out of sight. With bristled hair Mama charged into the bushes braking while Hobo and Suzie watched trying to see what was going on. Squirrel! Squirrel! shouted Suzie as all three made their charge trying to trap this four legged varmint as it disappeared into the yard next door with the safety of the fence between it and the dogs. So now all is quiet as the three fur kids relax in the yard looking over their kingdom as if their rule was secure and no trespassers were violating their sanctuary. Next order of business, to wait for the back door to open and a voice is heard saying, โ€œCome inside and get a treat.โ€ What a life!

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning FOOF's It is a wet and rainy day in the Northwest part of the Buckeye State this morning. Temp is around 64*.

As Cindy mentioned, we are looking for any things that can be used for door prizes or even for an auction.

As we are getting closer to the event dates, Cindy will be putting up the itinerary on Page 2 of the thread as well as suggestions for meals while we are there. This should not be a goofed up as the national rally as all will have full hookups. You shouldn't run out of water or need to have someone come by and dump you.

The area of the rally is in the center of the largest Amish/Menonite community in the states. The area is really serene and you should be able to get some great scenic views as well as some great food and baked goods.

I am looking forward to seeing you at the rally. We must help keep the spirit of Old Fella going through our own communities. We need to try to get the shelters in our home towns to be no-kill facilities and try a little harder to find homes for the homeless animials.

27 days until the Old Fella rally in Ohio. Let's make it the best one yet...........Thanks
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

maltese-lover2
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck Gary. Hopefully you will feel good that you helped get another dog to its forever home.

Gigi
Scott, Gigi + 7 maltese
2005 Safari Cheetah

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dashonthedash wrote:
I am taking in a temporary foster galga (Spanish greyhound) tonight and transporting her to Kanab, Utah tomorrow for GRIN (Galgo Rescue International Network). Someone attending the Greyhound Gathering there has apparently offered to adopt her, and I offered to provide the transport from Colorado, since I will also be attending, and the GRIN representative is staying at the same campground. I don't know much about her, except her name is Kala, but I'm picking her up after work. This is my first foster, and I hope it's not hard to give her up at the end of the trip. The last time I provided transport for a dog, I wound up adopting her (that was Lily). I'll let you know how it goes after I arrive tomorrow night.

Have a safe trip Gary. Just because you transport a dog doesn't mean you have to keep it.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
I am taking in a temporary foster galga (Spanish greyhound) tonight and transporting her to Kanab, Utah tomorrow for GRIN (Galgo Rescue International Network). Someone attending the Greyhound Gathering there has apparently offered to adopt her, and I offered to provide the transport from Colorado, since I will also be attending, and the GRIN representative is staying at the same campground. I don't know much about her, except her name is Kala, but I'm picking her up after work. This is my first foster, and I hope it's not hard to give her up at the end of the trip. The last time I provided transport for a dog, I wound up adopting her (that was Lily). I'll let you know how it goes after I arrive tomorrow night.
Gary Shapiro

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
maltese-lover2 wrote:
Thank you Ricard for the wonderful wisdom it provides. What a great thing to read in the a.m. Thanks again.

Gigi

PS everyone: We are fostering two more little puppy mill dogs that were confiscated here in Colorado. One is 2 and the other one is 3 - both males. What a challenge it is to foster the "puppy millers." It's nothing like owner relinquished. I keep telling myself "I can do this" so I will keep trying. Wish me luck.

Way to Go Gigi! Keep up the good work...

Wife Sue