cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
SOme days are diamonds and some days are stones///////
Your body is telling you something......Perhaps its time for a check up, not that doctors know everything. Best to take it easy, sit and read and relax/ You have had alot on your "plate" maybe its time to spend a couple quiet days sitting around and hugging the furbabies
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a night! Sue continued to have low blood sugar until I finally had to give her a shot to bring her back. She is having these more often now for some reason. I still am not feeliing well, but not sick enough to really complain. The fur babies all have had their medicine and should be doing okay. Suzie and Izzy are doing great and just enjoying life as if nothing else is going on.

I have a busy day today so I had better get going. Talk with you later.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope tomorrow is a better day for the Daniels Family. What about the silent one, how is Izzie??
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, sorry to hear the whole Daniels clan except for Susie is feeling under the weather. Here hoping it is only a 24hour thing and things are over soon.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has been a long and stressful day with many things going on. I look forward to going to bed tonight in hopes tomorrow will be a better day. Mama seems to be having bowel trouble again and Hobo has worms, Suzie has been up to her old tricks and Peaches is not feeling well. Sue just had a low blood sugar fit and I have been suffering from high blood sugar all day and it won't come down. I am running a low grade fever for some reason and feel very tired. I am going to bed now so everyone have a good evening.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
261 over all, still #8 in Georgia.

Shelter Challenge

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning, For those of you that are going to attend the Ohio Old Fella Rally, please send Cindy a PM or post on that thread what you may be bringing in the way of food so she can update the posting on Page 1 of the Rally thread.

Looking forward to seeing some of you whom we have not yet have the pleasure of meeting and seeing those again that we have met at other Old Fella Rallys.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Visit the Old Fella website

Old Fella

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Momof3inOK wrote:
God did have animals in the Garden of Eden. Before the fall, they communed with humans. Remember, Adam's 1st job was to name them all. Heaven is suppose to be utopia, as the garden was intended. God saved them from the flood. He gave them to us as gifts, companions. Remember He is preparing a place for you still. He only took 6 days for the rest of it. If He created it for the garden, I believe they will be part of the beauty of heaven.

You are correct in that animals were a part of God's creation and God presented the animals to Adam for him to name them. Before the fall of man all was at peace in the Garden which God created for His pleasure. God placed man in the Garden to tend it and also to eat from the fruit of it, not the flesh of the animals. When man fell from grace, God covered their naked bodies with the skin of an animal thus the first blood was shed to cover the sins of man.

So, an animal became the first sacrifice, first blood shed in the Garden and the beast of the wild became an enemy of man, a carnivore, a flesh eater. Thus God's creation was changed from that of being at peace with all creation to having a state of fear instilled in the beast of the wild and man became the hunted prey of the Lion, Tiger, and so on.

In the Heaven and new Earth peace will once again reign with all of God's creation and there will be an everlasting peace without fear, death and disease. Therefore if God created in the beginning the animals that Adam named and placed them in the Garden to be at peace with man, why wouldn't He also place them in the new Heaven and Earth?

The big question is this... will those animals that have lived with us as our fur babies, our children, will they be given a place with us in Heaven? Will we be joined together again? Now that would drive some Theologians crazy and most likely get me driven from the Baptist church if I were to state that as fact.

So where does that leave Rainbow Bridge? I wouldn't touch that topic with a ten foot pole -- only to say that I love the idea of it and it does bring comfort to think that the spirit of our beloved pets do wait for us somewhere to join them once again.

With that I will leave this subject to someone much wiser thanI am.

Wife Sue

Momof3inOK
Explorer
Explorer
God did have animals in the Garden of Eden. Before the fall, they communed with humans. Remember, Adam's 1st job was to name them all. Heaven is suppose to be utopia, as the garden was intended. God saved them from the flood. He gave them to us as gifts, companions. Remember He is preparing a place for you still. He only took 6 days for the rest of it. If He created it for the garden, I believe they will be part of the beauty of heaven.
Wanting to see all 50!
Those we have overnighted in...

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking through some old pictures I ran across this from last May. It was Old Fella's last trip to Modoc Campground where he lived as a stray. I should have known then how much he was struggling to keep up.

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Richard and Sue, wishing you safe travels, and prayers.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the balloons from the rally in Albuquerque

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fur kids have a new back yard.

The adults have a new look to their camper, we are ready to travel.

With the new 16" tires and Trailair suspension system I feel confident now that our tire troubles are over. We will be leaving Tuesday June 9th arriving at Dundee, Ohio on Wednesday. I am looking forward to the Old Fella Rally, but certainly will miss not having the Fella with us. June 28th will be a year since he left us and I still miss him a lot. Charlie, Mama and Hobo have changed things for us quite a bit, I sure do miss Charlie, what a great dog he was, so much fun and so happy. But Mama and Hobo have filled the nitch left by Fella and Charlie and have become such a wonderful part of our family.

We will be traveling with all four fur kids to Ohio, so wish us well on our travels. Mama will win everyone's heart and Hobo with her shy self will have everyone trying to pat her and reassure her no one is going to eat her for lunch. I hope everyone has a blessed day, talk with you later.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. Suzie, Peaches, Mama and Hobo now have a green back yard. The sprinkler system is in place and working so I hope that the grass will be able to keep up with the traffic and not disapear on us. The grass is what is used on golf courses so it should take the pounding that the fur kids will give it and do okay.

Mama continues to do very well with her hips as well as Peaches. The Joint Strong is working for them both and I have cut way back of Mama's Metacam. I did cut Mama's dose of JS in half because of the upset stomach that seems to have worked for her. Suzie continues to ne the Imp, just full of mischief. She is so playful and loves having a good time. It was sos funny when the back yard was torn apart and plowed up with the trenches being dug for the sprinkler system. She was the only one coming in with mud on her feet, not Mama, Peaches or Hobo, just Suzie. She would come in and you could follow her foot prints on the carpet going into the family room into the kitchen.

Okay I have to go for now, talk with you later.

Wife Sue