cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,298 REPLIES 32,298

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dandy Dan wrote:
Congratulations on the advancements on the OFBCR efforts with the city and county. We will be keeping the fingers crossed that all works out for the best interest of the rescue effort.

Also, congratulations are in order the the possible grand opening of Camp Dixie in Greenville SC. :B:B Hope this works out well for you, Sue and the furkids.

Camp Dixie I like that, thanks Dan. I hope you are drying out.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the advancements on the OFBCR efforts with the city and county. We will be keeping the fingers crossed that all works out for the best interest of the rescue effort.

Also, congratulations are in order the the possible grand opening of Camp Dixie in Greenville SC. :B:B Hope this works out well for you, Sue and the furkids.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sure is sad around here tonight. Suzie's toys are scattered about the house, there is a tennis ball in her kennel crate but there is no Suzie. The quiet is like something out of a novel where you expect a sudden rash of action or something to come out of the dark and grab you. I sit here almost in a state of depression thinking about her tonight and wanting to take her in my arms and hold her.

She was sad today as I left her at Springwood Kennel to spend the next three days while we go to Greenville, SC for a visit. With the girls already having animals of their own it would be too much to bring three more, so one of ours had to stay behind. Suzie being the youngest, well it fell upon her to stay. I sure do miss her not being here and realize how much I have come to love that little girl. I thought I was attached to Fella and Levi, but with her it goes much deeper as she has become embedded in my heart as no other.

We are making plans to buy some property in Greenville so we can take the camper up there and stay as long as we like without imposing on the girls. Sue has found three acres of land that she has fallen in love with so I am going to go with her tomorrow to look and see what I think about it. If the land works out then we can go with all three Levi, Fella and Suzie and not be in the way of the girls and their family and still be close enough to them to have a nice visit. This will also allow them to park their campers on the land and not have to pay storage.

We will have to put in a well and a septic tank but it will be worth it to be able to go whenever we want and stay as long as we want and enjoy the foothills of the mountains. Okay I have to go for now. I will talk with you later.

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Will pray for God's hand in all of this.

Becky
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

ElBigDodgeO
Explorer
Explorer
Not to rain on the parade, but local governments often have a way of setting a lot of conditions on any funding they provide to non-profits. I worry that if they designate the OF rescue as their animal control agency, they will provide funds for the program based on needs going forward from there, and the work that you currently do will not be covered. You could end up with funds but a lot more work to do and still suffer volunteer burn out and stress. You don't want them to take for granted the hard unpaid work that already occurs. I hope you can set up a baseline of funding and set new goals and funding priorities once the basics are covered.

Just my two cents.

Sandi
Still on the Road
2016 Coachman Freelander

Traveling with Maggie and Bruce Lee

"This is our Kingdom of Days"

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Great news Richard! Perhaps this will generate some additional help, but will at least energize your current foster parents to see that all is not in vain.
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just getting these two governments to the negotiating table to talk about animal control is wonderful news. Now I hope this doesn't break down somewhere before it is finished. In the mean while we still struggle with the usual things of not enough foster homes,not enough volunteers and not enough money. But every young volunteer agency starts off with these problems.

We have taken in a Golden Retriever that is positive for heart worms and we are having to wait for her treatment until we are able to take care of her. Today will be a busy day here as we take care of things around the house that have been let go, so I had better get started before Sue comes looking for me.

Wife Sue

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Richard - CONGRATS to you and the group. I know you have a lot of tired volunteers down there that are like Energizer Bunnies. :B This is WONDERFUL NEWS! Please continue to keep us posted.

Dan, Lori, and Anna - Take care and keep in touch. We are always here for you.

Gottahaveit
Excellent news Richard !!!! Keep up the great work, you have done wonders on your incredible journey. So glad we can share it with you.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, that is truly wonderful news. Congratulations to you and Old Fella and everyone else who has worked so tirelessly for this to happen. There is hope after all!
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan glad to hear that you are alright. I know your friend is glad to have your help with his store.

It has been an earth shattering day. Here goes. The county and the city got together and discussed how they could join together with animal control, this is a first!! Working together they have discussed many options,all of which are good. The Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue has been included in these discussions and now we have to draft a plan of how we intend to work together with the City Government and the County Government in animal control. For the first time in Burke County History these two Governments have come together to address the problem of animal control!

If you don't get the picture here is what has happened. The Burke County Commissioners are actively looking for a way to enter into an agreement with the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue and the City of Waynesboro to put money in the budget for animal control.

From this point forward there is hope for the animals of Burke County getting the help they so desperately need. I thank God for all the doors that are opening for the rescue effort. Wednesday I will meet with Mr. Rowland and record the deed to the property at the Burke County Court House for the Old Fella Rescue. Thursday morning the Old Fella Rescue with Mr. Rowland will meet at the property for a picture for the Waynesboro True Citizen Newspaper, hopefully channel 26 News will be there also. Now if we could just win the lottery!!!

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, We are getting back to somewhat normal at least for us. Got all the mud shoveled out and cleaned up. Thank goodness we didn't get any in the house and while it was raining, the sump pump kept up. I have been helping a good friend who owns a Lee's Chicken franchise try to get his store back in order. They had over 2' of water and crud in the store and all the walls have to be opened up to a level higher than the flood waters and disinfected. We power washed all the floor and all the tables and chairs. After the place is cleaned and spray disinfected the Health inspector has to come in and give his blessing prior to any reconstruction can begin. I really feel bad for our friend as this appears to have to all come out of his pocket. Hope all you you are happy and healthy and to all, thanks for the PM's. The concern was very thoughtful.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

CindyNRoger
Explorer
Explorer
Dan and Lori were suppose to host an Ohio Rally this weekend in their area. Needless to say, they had to cancel. ๐Ÿ˜ž The pictures are unbelievable! Look forward to hooking up with them soon.

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Just catching up....any news on Dan and Lori?? I forgot they were in Findley.
My great grandma was a great example of a true believer. She was 94 when she died. She used to have my dad, her grandson go to her "bureau" and get her billfold so she could give him money to pay a bill. He'd do it just to please her, knowing there would be no money there. Yet, time and again, money would be there. No one ever knew how that happened. She was almost blind, could hardly walk, obviously didn't drive, yet......so Richard, just believe. I don't know how it will work. I certainly can't right now. But just like grandma's wallet......help will come.
jana
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Will pray the answers and the money will come.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS