cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Picture of the banner

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

The Old man with the Old Fella

Wife Sue

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Rich--these are the best two pics on the whole Forum!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Old Fella getting brushed

Wife Sue

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
That's such a neat picture. A pretty wife and two adorable dogs.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

This is sue with Old Fella and Levi

Wife Sue

AGRNBRTSLOVE
Explorer
Explorer
I just love imagining that crackle of the campfire, and your devoted pal, Old Fella right next to you. I guess he made a whole bunch of new friends this weekend! I'm sure every person you told his story to will repeat it to someone else, and some how it will make a difference in another stray's life.

capehank
Explorer
Explorer
An excellent website to view dogs in need of owners is www.petfinder.com
Cheryl Tom
Mulligan -King dog -golden retriever 5 yrs
Teddy -1/10/06-6/29/11 tripawd, always with us!
Missy -American Eskimo 15 yrs at the bridge 4/7/15
Hank -Terrier mix 17 yrs at the bridge 9/7/16
Isabella - Golden Retriever 1/10/06-11/10/16 always with us!

Graydog
Explorer
Explorer
Would someone please pass me a tissue? I know why I don't read this a work. A very special dog for a very special man!
PawPaw
SuSu
VooDoo and Trouble the toy (Poodle) boys

2005 Ford 350
2009 Fuzion 403

chrisnpat
Explorer
Explorer
Gottahaveit wrote:
Well we have been gone for 5 days and finally got to catch up on Ol Fella. Yep had to get another box of kleenex. This is such a wonderful story to come home to. My heart goes out to Richard and Family. Ol Fella waited till he found the right daddy. Boy did he pick a good one.

Yes in deed!!!
Christine and Patrick
Cocker Spaniels
Trevor and two Fosters Kahlua and Blossom
Life is What happens to you while your busy making plans.

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:

If nothing else Old Fella may just be the Saviour for many a stray living alone and without hope. There are many Old Fella's out there and I hope that through him many will be saved and given a home where they will know what it is like to be loved and cared for. Maybe Old Fella could become their champion, their hope. Wouldn't it be something if all of the shelters were empty and every stray had a home?? If nothing else, if for no other reason Old Fella's rescue became a symbol of hope for so many, then this old stray's life has meant more than anything I could have done and would be over shadowed by his greatness.

I am hopeful the generous spirit that has surrounded the RVing community where this dog's story is concerned will carry over. As someone who has given time and money to local shelters my entire adult life I know the shelters have so many needs. Perhaps everyone who reads Old Fella's story will begin to contribute to their shelter on a regular basis, whether it be of your time or from your wallet. There are so many dogs and cats that need our help! This could be done in honor of your own pets or of course in honor of Richard and Old Fella.

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

pasco1215
Explorer
Explorer
I am having a hard time trying to find some thing to say. Some feelings can't be put into words. Amazing how a DOG can be part of your life.
DOG spelled backwards is GOD.
Think about it.
HAPPY RVing! :W
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
I have wondered a lot about Old Fella and just why I became so determined to rescue him.

That poor ol' guy used some mighty powerful body language, right from the start, especially when he exchanged sniffs with Levi and then laid down next to him. He was saying, "See, I could fit right in with your family." And he sure was right. ๐Ÿ™‚
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
That would be wonderful if that could happen. I've got to go get some more Kleenex. That's how I ended up with so many dogs. People just drop them off in the country and their just lost and hungry. They'd hang out by the fence by my other dogs for company, so I end up taking them in. They make the greatest and most grateful pets.
E.Texan

sukerpooch
Explorer
Explorer
WHY did I start to read the update without Kleenex????????? Richard, I have never had a man I've never met make me cry so much. Of course, they are tears of joy. It is a wonderful thing you have done and OF will be able to live a comfortable life from now on. You truly are an inspiration to all and I just want to say thank you for the display of kindness I knew still existed in people.
Jim & Becky (mostly Becky, unless its the Tech forums!)
Suki the camping Akita
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Dually w/ MegaCab (for the spoiled dog!)
2005 MOUNTAINEER 335RLBS