cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Carole - of course you have my prayers for Wolfie!! I know you will be worrying all night, but try to rest some and be ready to deal with whatever this is. May it be a GI upset. My young pup recently had a bout of Hemoraghic Gastro intestinal problems and she is fine now. She was bleeding into her stool and vomiting.

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Carole, my prayers are with you. It's odd, though, that Baxter and Wolfie, entirely different breed mixes, should have the same symptoms. Have you considered environmental causes? Have you had your water tested recently? Rectal bleeding on its own is common and may or may not be symptomatic of a problem, but you should see your vet immediately. I hope it's not the same vet who found nothing wrong with Baxter. Here's an article I found on rectal bleeding. More info can be found by Googling "rectal bleeding in dogs", but you should take anything you read on the net with a grain of salt until you see the vet.

About Canine Rectal Bleeding
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Carole....

Prayers are on the way...Keep us posted...
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Gentle_Spirit
Explorer
Explorer
Last night when I put Wolfie to bed, I noticed blood on his fur around his rectum. Thinking about it, he has many of the same symptoms that killed my dog Baxter in December. Baxter was 10 and part boxer, so we thought he had cancer (#1 Boxer killer), but now I'm questioning. Wolfie has alot of eye "boogers", seems lethargic, sometimes doesn't finish his food (unheard of with him), I noticed yesterday he seems to be drinking more, all the same symptoms Baxter had.....I'm scared. Of course, I'll be taking him to the vet first thing Monday - but I did take Baxter to the vet before his symptoms got so bad that he was vomiting blood and the vet couldn't find anything wrong. I know that rectal bleeding is a pretty bad sign, and with the increase in drinking, he could be in kidney failure.
I don't know how I could get through losing him, I'm distraught. Please pray for him.......
Carole Winch, husband George
Wolfie-Malamute/wolf mix
Tiger-cat/Spicey-cat

07 National Pacifica Diesel Pusher, 36'
05 Honda Pilot - toad

butterfly_girl
Explorer
Explorer
Hope everyone is having a great weekend....

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
Live life as a gift you unwrap daily

Sharon
Hubby...bob-88Bounder
Poky the Dog...and Ally the Dog.. Both rescued dogs.
OUR RIG.. 1988 34' Bounder...
Rincon Beach, Ventura Calif
Our BLOG
1 Romantic Wedding

My Space Page

Buzz-ette
Explorer
Explorer
Sent an email, too. What a beautiful campground. You and Sue have a wonderful time.
1980 Dodge Xplorer
Pixie Honeybun (Rat Terrier) and Itsa (kitty)

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's time to hit the hay so I am leaving the thread in your hands to keep things going until we get back. Good night everyone and say a prayer for us as we travel tomorrow. God bless

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Oh too funny, Enjoy your time alone.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoops wrote:
I also sent an email. Richard, Sue have safe travels. Is the dogs going too?
If so they won't have any problems with the cats, but what about the cats with the dogs??? Ahhh the adventure.

Becky

One of our very good neighbors is going to take care of the fur babies while we are gone. It's like getting a vacation away from the kids.

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
I also sent an email. Richard, Sue have safe travels. Is the dogs going too?
If so they won't have any problems with the cats, but what about the cats with the dogs??? Ahhh the adventure.

Becky
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
I sent an email also and received a reply of "no problem" from the campground

Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for sending the email to the campground in Florida. I made another run late this afternoon to the dumpster where the puppies were abandoned and apparently they are all gone now. Someone must have picked up all of the puppies but the one and now she is safe and being cared for.

In the morning Sue and I will leave for St. Augustine and should arrive there about 2 in the afternoon. It should be an easy journey with the only large city being Jacksonville. I plan to take some pictures to share with everyone so everyone can be a part of this great thread's newest adventure.

Wife Sue

det62
Explorer
Explorer
Email also sent :B

Any news on the other puppies ??
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sent them an email thanking them for assisting you. Also, let them know that if we are ever in the area they will be our choice for a stay.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, E-mail has been sent.............:B:B:B
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS