cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,298 REPLIES 32,298

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Pixie our thoughts and prayers will be with you as you go through your treatment.

Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Fella's Dixie Transport takes off tomorrow with the Dixie dogs heading to Massachusetts. Wish everyone a safe trip. I think they are taking about 15-18 dogs on this trip.

I heard from Bill Johnson's wife Pixie today. I hope everyone remembers them. She has just found out she has cancer and will undergo treatment very soon. Hopefully they caught it in time. If you remember Bill passed away back in June. He was planning to help out with the Anna II transport and had to back out because of declining health and then died shortly there after.

Things are looking good here with the rescue efforts and I finally got to read the article in Highways magazine. The Old Fella sure looks good doesn't he??? Suzie did very well on the trip. It was as if she had been talking with Old Fella and Levi about traveling manners. She handled the camping like a pro and was in bed every night without a whimper and Dan, she slept all night and didn't wake us up until seven every morning. How do dogs tell time???

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all that DandyDan said, and am also looking forward to Branson this summer. We had a good time at the campground and everyone was as nice as the people that you met in Rutherfordton.

Dixie & Sue, glad that you are home safe and sound and I envy the fact that you were there and I was here:)
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
WE ARE HOME!!! What a great trip. Thanks Dan for keeping the thread on the front page. Have to unpack right now talk with you later.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Good Afrternoon All, I had to get this wonderful thread back on page one. Just can't let it fall to page 2. It has been too much of a life changing thread. I have to stop and think that if not for the rescue of 4 little sisters from under a dumpster by a southern gentleman named Richard that my life would be a little different. Lori and I would not have had the opportunity to meet some of the nicest folks from this part of the country. We are looking forward to seeing more of you folks in Branson in June.
We both have had the opportunity to share living room space with Richard and Sue and the OF gang on a couple of occasions and definately time in the campgrounds. We have had many pleasant hours with Richard and Sue and do hope that many more may be spent with the folks who will sometime be starting "Camp Dixie"
This should get us back on page 1.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't see the pictures! Maybe that is best since we didn't make it to the Outer Banks this year and I am missing it bad!
Safe travels on the way home.....
jana
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

fulltimegrams22
Explorer
Explorer
sher9570 wrote:
Snip
It was the last trip for our beloved Lab Sofie, her 11th birthday present and we lost her to cancer last Saturday but I am so grateful she got the chance to go to the beach. We really enjoyed exploring Cape Hatteras, it's a beautiful place. We also loved the KOA, the people were so friendly and accomadating.
Enjoy you time with the dogs, it's precious.

Sher

Sher, my condolences on Sofie, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Take care of yourself.

Fulltimegrams22

fulltimegrams22
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a beautiful place to stay Richard, thanks for posting the pics for us. Have a safe and enjoyable trip home.

Fulltimegrams22

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice campground

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another great day. We all had a good time walking on the beach. I let Suzie off the leash to see what she would do and she stayed very close never venturing too far from her Dad. We really have had a wonderful time and traveling with three fur babies isn't bad at all. Suzie is very well behaved when not put in harm's way with temptation.

Tomorrow we start back home making it a two day trip instead of one so we can enjoy the scenery on the back roads.I don't know if we will have WIFI at our stop over tomorrow night as we don't know where we will stop. We are just going to wing it the rest of the trip. Okay it's time for bed so I will close for now and I will talk with you later

Wife Sue

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful, wonderful photo's, Richard!!!!

๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures. Looks like lot of fun for all.
E.Texan

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Outer Banks North Carolina

Wife Sue