cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
needsomefun wrote:

Old Fella sez "things are looking up!!"

Oh my gosh!!!! He already looks soooooo much better! What a wonderful picture. ๐Ÿ™‚ (And before Walter asks...I am speaking of Old Fellow, the 4 legged old fellow......) :B

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

CatandJim
Explorer
Explorer
Great picture! He looks like he is feeling much better! :B

Cat

(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like I see two smiles in that picture! ๐Ÿ™‚

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer

Old Fella sez "things are looking up. This is me and my new dad!!"

"This is my injured foot - it's much better now, thank ya'll"

Here's some more recent pics"

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie, You are so welcome. If there were more people in this world like you the world would be a better place. I am sure that everyone involved with this post will be on pins and needles, as I sure you will be also, the next four-five days while Old Fellow goes thru this very tough time and treatment. Please keep up the good work on posting how he is doing. I just wished I could be there to hold him and give him some good belly rubs, and ear rubs. What I can not give to him Mickey has been getting and she sure loves the extra attention. God Bless you.
Lynn and Mickey.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to thank everyone who has given support to Old Fellow. It has meant a lot to me and all of those who have participated in this forum. You have shown your generosity and love with your gifts, thoughts and prayers and for that I am forever grateful.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
whimstock wrote:
Does the vet say approximately how long the critical time period will be?

๐Ÿ™‚

Doc Gradous says about four more days and then he will be out of the woods. He gives Old Fellow an 80% chance of coming through this.

Wife Sue

whimstock
Explorer
Explorer
Does the vet say approximately how long the critical time period will be?

Yes, I would love for my dogs to talk, too! I know they would have quite a story to tell--not to mention their "opinions." ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy and Jeanie ๐Ÿ™‚

We always have time for the things we put first.

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
good update thank you we are all on pins and needeles over his heartworm treatment.

TTBeachBum
Explorer
Explorer
lynno62 wrote:
Yes It would, and Klennex would make even more than they are now when I read about him.

I agree with that!

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Yes It would, and Klennex would make even more than they are now when I read about him.
Lynno & Girls
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
lynno62 wrote:
Good Morning Dixie, Thank you for the update. Our prayers go out to Old Fellow
at this most critical time, and always.
Lynn, and Mickey.

Thank you for your prayers and support.

I wonder if Disney would be interested in making a movie of Old Fellow? It would make a great story don't you think?

Wife Sue

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning Dixie, Thank you for the update. Our prayers go out to Old Fellow
at this most critical time, and always.
Lynn, and Mickey.
Lynno & Girls
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Fellow is now in his critical stage with the heart worm treatment. So far all is well as the worms are dying off and now will start passing from the heart into the lungs. The danger is that the dead worms may clump together causing a clot in the heart which would result in a heart attack and death. Old Fellow has not shown any signs of stress and continues to eat well and take his antibiotics. He has been on a strong dose of antibiotics since his surgery to help him with the healing process. He has gain a little weight since he was first brought in and his coat is looking much better. He has no fleas or ticks on him so he has stopped the mad scratching that was going on.

The hair loss around his eyes and on his ears will take some time to recover. He had developed some sort of fungus around the eyes but the vet seems to think that will clear up in time with care and a proper diet. He has really turned into quite the gentleman since he has been at the clinic and is responding well to being touch and handled by the staff.

One thing that makes me wonder about his past life is how well he has taken to being in the kennel. He has not messed up his pen and waits to go outside to do his business. He acts as if he has been crate trained at sometime. I am beginning to think he was left at the campground by someone who had been staying there and he has been waiting on them to come back and get him. Of course that is just speculation on my part and may not be true at all. But one thing I do know is he has adjusted to his new life very well so there is more to this story than we know.

When I go out for visits and take him outside we will sometimes just sit and watch each other for a long time, him just looking at me with those haunting eyes. I wish he could talk and tell me what is going on in that mind of his.

Anyway that is my report for the morning, thank you for tuning in. This is Dixie Flyer saying so long for now.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
lynno62 wrote:
Dixie, Thank you for all you are doing for old Fellow, every time I check out this thread to see how he is doing it brings tears to my eyes at the rough life and treatment he had thru out his years. I am so glad the you and he found each other and that he is responding to treatment so well. Now hopefully we can get enough collected for you to pay the vet bill and boarding bill with out a lot of out of pocket expense on your own.
Lynn, and Mickey

Lynn and Mickey thank you for all of your support. We will look back on this and have such a good feeling that Old Fellow has found a safe and loving place in this world and will be enjoying his last days as he has never done before.

Wife Sue