cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaska from Montana - May 2015

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Missoula area and are THINKING of heading to Alaska the end of this month. Anyone headed that direction we could tag along with ? We have been to Alaska twice but never in a motorhome. We are in a 41' Dutch Star towing a Jeep Liberty.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package
4 REPLIES 4

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
USMC46 wrote:
We are in Missoula area and are THINKING of heading to Alaska the end of this month. Anyone headed that direction we could tag along with ? We have been to Alaska twice but never in a motorhome. We are in a 41' Dutch Star towing a Jeep Liberty.

Check the repair line at Bretz RV for a fellow traveler. Take 93 north until you hit the Trans Canada, go west and take 93 as the Icefields Parkway until you hit Canada 16, then East to 40, north to Grande Prairie. The truck traffic along the way will be much longer than you are. Easy trip

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
It will be our first trip to Alaska as well....32 ft.
fiver
There is some apprehension about going solo but I am hoping to enjoy the campground comrodrie and meeting new people. I am also looking forward to solitude it will offer when you need it.
We hope to be near Shelby Mt by June 4 or 5th so maybe we'll bump into you.
Black Gmc 3500 with a crossroad Zinger.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
Jim :
I kinda thought we wanted the company of another rig on our first run up there last year, but along the way we came to enjoy the beauty, solitude and wonder of the trip from Ft St John over to Anchorage. Along the way we'd bump into folks at waystations/ campgrounds/ towns etc and stop and chewed the fat with them. We found folks along the road quite friendly and eager to engage in talk. Often times we'd see folks along the way for the next few days or so that we camped with earlier.

(Secret opportunity- never pass up good cinnamon rolls on the Alaska Highway!)

Yes it is remote and you may go a half hour without seeing another vehicle occasionally, but its pretty well traveled and not much different than many highways in the western US.

You are truly going to enjoy it. I found my apprehensions were not well founded after we did it. Can't wait to go back up first of July.

If you'd like to see our report and pics from last year drop me a PM
Joe

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Just start heading North you'll meet someone in a campground and be most likely stopping at the came campgrounds along the way, we did and spent some enjoyable time with them.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu