cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Wilmington, De to Avon Ct.

marybethmc
Explorer
Explorer
In August we will be driving our 36 ft motorhome from Wilmington, De to Avon Ct. I just found out some of the routes do not allow RV's. What would be the best route to take from these locations?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

marybethmc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it. It's stressful enough but helps if you know where you are going.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
marybethmc wrote:
In August we will be driving our 36 ft motorhome from Wilmington, De to Avon Ct. I just found out some of the routes do not allow RV's. What would be the best route to take from these locations?
Thanks

I would go like the last poster...up 95 to Woodbridge,NJ......and then pickup 287 to 87 North in Sufferin,NY to 84......once in Ct , I would go to Waterbury and take rt 8 north to rt 44 into Avon....only because of the construction on 84 passed Waterbury....
Now our daughter lives in Avon....and this is a little longer but misses the const and traffic...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The work on the Tappan Zee Bridge does not bother the traffic very much. 684 is in such bad repair you think your in PA when you drive on it but that is the way I go.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Since no one else has responded, I'll provide some possibly out of date info.

First of all you want to avoid any road in NY and CT with "Parkway" in the name - Sawmill Parkway, Taconic Parkway, Wilber Cross Parkway, etc. All have low bridges, so you don't want to be on them in an RV.

From Wilmington you could take either the NJ Turnpike or I295 north then join the Turnpike near Trenton. When you get to the Woodbridge NJ area you have a choice of I287 or the Garden State Parkway. RVs are allowed on the GSP. I287 is toll free. Both take you to the NY Thruway. Another choice to make there, you can go east over the Tappan Zee Bridge then take I684 north to I84, or take the NY Turnpike north to join I84 near Newburgh, NY. I84 gets you close to Avon.

They are working on building a replacement for the Tappan Zee Bridge, but I haven't been up that way for a while, so can't comment on whether the bridge work is causing traffic problems.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚