cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Altamont Pass/Hwy 580 East Road Condition?

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone traveled east over the Altamont Pass in the S.F. Bay Area recently with their RV? It was in terrible condition the last time I drove on it and that was prior to our last very rainy winter. I know that they have repaved the Westbound lanes but can't find any info on Eastbound portion that is east of the top of the pass. We're going to be heading in that direction next week to Fresno and I am trying to decide if I should go over Hwy 12 to Stockton or down Hwy 101 and cut over on Hwy 152.
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox
5 REPLIES 5

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we took Hwy 12 to the east and came back via Hwy 4. I have a Class A and will never take it through rural Hwy 4 again as there are two one lane bridges which have an "honor" system. There are signs stating not to go over the bridge if a truck or wide vehicle is on it. Sure enough most folks ignored the right-of-way. On the first one, a large truck that had very wide mirrors came on the bridge after I was already on it. We both slowed down to a crawl to pass each other. On the second one, a bobtail truck started to get on the bridge after I was about two thirds across. I waved at him and he stopped! I spoke to two friends in our RV club and they both have torn off mirrors on the same bridges!
Lakejumper

2012 Chevy Equinox

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Bump
Lakejumper

2012 Chevy Equinox

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the delayed response. All hell broke loose with the Sonoma County fires in California! Luckily, our home wasn't affected but the Motorhome sure came in handy! We'll avoid Hwy 580 unless someone else chimes in. Does anyone know if they resurfaced I5 in Stockton? We'll probably go via Hwy12 to either I5 or Hwy 99. Thanks for the suggestions.
Lakejumper

2012 Chevy Equinox

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
Lakejumper-Try Highway 4 from Bay Area. Nice wide new freeway through East Bay to new bypass. Follow to rural Highway 4 to Stockton past Discovery Bay. I tow my Trailer that way. Only 2 way traffic on rural Highway 4, 45-55 mph. 18 minutes from Discovery Bay east to Stockton and Highway 5 or 99.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I just did eastbound CA-12 so I didn't have to deal with the traffic and poor road condition on I-580. It was a peaceful drive with light traffic and fair road conditions.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer