cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding DC and Baltimore Tunnel?

water_witch
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so apologies for my ignorance at the start. My husband just passed away in FL two months ago, where I am and have been wintering, and I'm going to drive my MH home to NJ from FL three weeks from now.

I've found his trip plans for a return trip to NJ but can't make sense of his travel plans around DC and around the tunnel in Baltimore.

This is what I think his plans say:
I I95 til MD mile marker 22 to Baltimore Washington Parkway/MD I695 for 30 miles, then over the Francis Scott Key Bridge, meeting up with I 95 again at exit 64.

Does anybody know this route? Do I understand his notes correctly and, if yes, is this the right way to go?

I am a very novice navigator and driver so please be very specific in responses. (I drove the MH home from FL last year but he was in the passenger seat navigating for me :() Thanks for any help.
3 REPLIES 3

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
That route is fine and the mile markers/exits are correct. Your husband's notes are getting onto I-295 from the DC Beltway (I-495) and taking it north to I-695. He's doing it to avoid the Baltimore tunnels which do not allow propane.

Here's the route mapped out:
I-495 to I-295 to I-695 to I-95

You can read about the restrictions around Baltimore here:
Propane Restrictions in Maryland

And, you have my condolences. So sorry for your loss- I can't imagine losing my wife, but I would be incredibly proud of her getting herself and the camper home. Kudos to you.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

water_witch
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the response.

Yes.... I just came up that way this past Sunday... I am not sure of the mile markers but can say that you have got it correct. Stay on 95 on and around DC... Once you are north of DC , look for route 695 and go east.. There are no propane tanks allowed in the Baltimore tunnels so we must take the beltway... I have always found that going east has been better , at least for me. You cross the Key bridge( Francis Scott Key) and a few miles later return back onto 95 north... I am sorry for your loss , Good Luck and Be safe!! Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet