cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best radio for Alcan, CB or FRS... or both?

kevfra
Explorer
Explorer
What is the common communication for chatter, help etc along the road to Alaska? If I need to yell for help, or respond to someone calling for help, are they more likely to use CB or FRS? Road condition reports from big rigs?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
FRS may have short range, but you can use it legally in Canada without a license. However that doesn't mean that most others on the hiway will have one on the same channel, same with CB and Ham radios. There's enough traffic on the hiway that just standing at the side of the road and waving for help will work. The further you get away form major population areas, the more people tend to be willing to stop and help strangers.

that is why a CB is more practical. you can use channel 19 and get most people. with FRS it is just a guessing game.
bumpy

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
FRS may have short range, but you can use it legally in Canada without a license. However that doesn't mean that most others on the hiway will have one on the same channel, same with CB and Ham radios. There's enough traffic on the hiway that just standing at the side of the road and waving for help will work. The further you get away form major population areas, the more people tend to be willing to stop and help strangers.

kevfra
Explorer
Explorer
JoeTampa wrote:
FRS is very short range. I'd stick with CB or get your ham radio license.

I have a ham license but I seriously doubt every other rig on the road has one. Won't do me any good to call out to Japan for service. I'm looking for the mode that is commonly found on the road there, and that definitely is not ham.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
JoeTampa wrote:

X2
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M