cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Canadian currency melts?

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
I went to local bank today to exchange U.S. currency for Canadian for our upcoming RV trip through Canada to Alaska. As I was preparing to exit the bank, the teller mentioned to me NOT to leave the new Canadian currency in the glove box of a vehicle or a hot camper because it was made of plastic and it would melt and that would render it unusable and of ZERO value.

Just what I need is a fist full of useless plastic! :E Is it true that these new Canadian bills will melt in hot environments and have any of my fellow RVers had issues with them?

Lakeside
47 REPLIES 47

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Please go back and inform the teller (and sheesh, her manager) that she's just plain wrong to be spreading garbage info like that.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

alfresco
Explorer
Explorer
Most of your dash is made of plastic. Does it melt?
Patti & Ron
07 2500HD 4x4 Silverado
23' Hornet 5er

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
If the temp gets high enough to melt the bills you won't have to worry about it.
You won't survive either.
JMHO
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I don't think I'd try that with a US 20 either. While it wouldn't melt, if it got hot enough to melt a Can 20 I suspect it would get hot enough to burn or at least badly scorch a US 20.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:

Which part of the gene pool do your guys' tellers come from down there.:h

Myth busted

if you have a toaster oven that gets hot as hades on the top surface, please lay a bill, $20.00 preferably, on top of it for about 15 minutes and let us know if they will melt.
thanks,
bumpy

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
FreeLanceing wrote:
I bought canadian money in canada last month. the rate was 110/100 so I should have recieved 110 can for each 100 am. Not so every bank I went to wanted a 7% cut out of the exchange. They gave me 103. I went in Alberta and again in Whitehorse same deal. I actually got a better exchange at wallmart in Whitehorse. That was like 105. I found the best exchange was just using my credit card. They gave the full 110 with a small like 50 cent surcharge. ANy of the canucks would gladly take am money at a 50/50 rate. Live and lern I guess. When I tried to pass the can money in Alaska they would only give me 90 cents per dollar. When I bought the money at the bank in canada the teller told me not to leave it on the dash or in a hot location as it could melt the bills together. She claimed to have witnessed this.

When she said "hot location" did she mean in a burning vehicle? That's the only way I could see this money "melting". I am Canadian and I've never heard of this money melting other than with stories on the internet saying so. If it's on the internet it must be true...:R

Which part of the gene pool do your guys' tellers come from down there.:h

Myth busted
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

FreeLanceing
Explorer
Explorer
I bought canadian money in canada last month. the rate was 110/100 so I should have recieved 110 can for each 100 am. Not so every bank I went to wanted a 7% cut out of the exchange. They gave me 103. I went in Alberta and again in Whitehorse same deal. I actually got a better exchange at wallmart in Whitehorse. That was like 105. I found the best exchange was just using my credit card. They gave the full 110 with a small like 50 cent surcharge. ANy of the canucks would gladly take am money at a 50/50 rate. Live and lern I guess. When I tried to pass the can money in Alaska they would only give me 90 cents per dollar. When I bought the money at the bank in canada the teller told me not to leave it on the dash or in a hot location as it could melt the bills together. She claimed to have witnessed this.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
I have heard the old saying that money just burns a hole in the pocket of some people. Probably true. But never had any problem with Canadian currency melting. LOL But I have had some issues with it cracking. Most of the time I don't carry a wallet, just fold my money, stuff my driver's license, a credit card and a debit card inside, all secured with a money clip. I suspect it is the lower/lesser rag content of the Canadian bills that will cause them to crack at the fold, at times. Then when I go to pull one out of the money clip, at times I only get half of the bill and have to tape it back together. Wouldn't be a problem, I guess if I carried them in a wallet and not folded with the fold pressed tight.

Anyway with that slight difference, the main problem I have with Canadian money, even before the switch over to the new bills, is that it tends to disappear on me, too quickly. Just gone in a few days. Wonder how long a person will have to save their Canadian pennies, before they become rare and valuable? Or perhaps the US could buy all the unused Canadian pennies from the Canadian mint at face value. I understand it now costs more to make a penny than the face value of it. May be time for the US to drop the penny as well.

I can't believe you are still using dollar bills.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
bsinmich wrote:
The toonie is also known as the Queen with a bear behind. While Queen Elizabeth is on the front there is a bear on the backside.

Never heard of it. I'm Canadian.

I'm betting that this a take off from an old Benny Hill sketch where he is in the 'stocks' for having 'wicked thoughts'. An attractive Puritan girl is talking to him and says, " Oh no, I would never go walking in the forest with all those animals, can you imagine me walking with a bear behind".
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
bsinmich wrote:
The toonie is also known as the Queen with a bear behind. While Queen Elizabeth is on the front there is a bear on the backside.

X2
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:

2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
kcmoedoe wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
These notes have been used in Europe and Australia for years. They aren't new.

Technology developed in Australia, then sold to other countries
There is no doubt, however, that plastic money was first created in America. It is commonly referred to as the Credit Card. But don't worry, you still corner the market on Kangaroos, platypuses and Animal experts who get killed by sting rays.

No woven plastic money developed in Australia , Canada was one of the first to use the technologyP
Polymer plastic Notes developed in Australia replacing paper money