cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick in late Sept, Early Oct.

skitime
Explorer
Explorer
We were planning a trip through Maine, New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia leaving late August from Pennsylvania but due to a puppy problem we will not be able to leave until late September. Will there still be campgrounds open? Will it be too cold? I did some research and found many campground are closing mid Sept. Should we just head south instead of north? Any advice welcome.
2002 Trail-lite Model 242
97 Geo Tracker toad
8 REPLIES 8

Oldcow
Explorer
Explorer
Mvander wrote:
Just got back from a 3week trip there. Beautiful !!! I highly recommend Murray beach provincial park in N.B. (site 102) and linkletter p.p. in p.e.i. if you like to camp close to the ocean.

I second Murray Beach. If you go say hello to Pam, the manager there.

In PEI, by far one of the nicest places to stay is New Glasgow Highlands. Say hello to Marlene and Les from Denis and Leah.

http://www.newglasgowhighlands.com/

Safe travels.

Oldcow
2013 Outback 300RB TT
2010 Tundra

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Camp grounds close to towns, where folks might use their rv as a home for a job, could be open, i.e. Fredericton, Saint John, Charlottetown, Halifax, etc.

There are also ways to boondock for a night or so.

Again, as said, lots of little things open, fall foliage is great. Some seasonal restaurants stay open through the first weekend of October.

Puppy will enjoy anyway.

BTW likely more will be open on PEI this year. It's 150 years since the first Confederation Conference in Charlottetown , that was the start for getting Canada together. Some special things continue through the fall, not sure how many.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

BigDaddyHfx
Explorer
Explorer
Most provincial campgrounds in NS close after the Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd weekend in October) I highly recommend Graves Island Provincial Park in Chester. You may find it difficult to get a spot without a reservation for that weekend

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We leave 9/28 from NY and plan on boondocking most of the time...gaspe' peninsula down coast of NB to PEI to southern coast of NB thru maine and home to NY...one month plus a titchy bit maybe.

WE saw that not many campgrounds are open but doesn't matter too much to us.
Donna

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a 3week trip there. Beautiful !!! I highly recommend Murray beach provincial park in N.B. (site 102) and linkletter p.p. in p.e.i. if you like to camp close to the ocean.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in the area a few years back. Enough CGs open & fall colours were great.

Get back south before the last leaf falls. Thats when open CGs get tough to find.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will find a few campgrounds open but a lot of the attractions could be closed by October. Many are staffed by university students and they will be back in school. You might want to check web sites if there are certain places you are interested in going. Canadian Thanksgiving is Oct. 13th this year and typically a lot of places close up that weekend.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
You may find most campgrounds closed. I would make a plan and call the places you figured on staying. As far as too cold, don't ask a Canadian. We are known to camp out in the winter in tents. It really depends on what you call too cold.