cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best time to travel to Alaska

bigskyroller
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling to Alaska in our 5th wheel in August and September. We will be leaving from Whitefish, MT the last week of July. Is this too late to start our adventure? Our current itinerary is week 1 - Banff, Jasper, week 2 - Grand Prairie to Whitehorse, week 3,4 - Haines, Chicken and Valdez, week 5 - Seward, Homer (end of August), week 6 Denali, week 7 Chena/Fairbanks, week 8, 9 - Steward, Prince George. We would like to take a glacier cruise, flight-seeing around Denali, flight to Katmai, just to name a few. We enjoy hiking and being outdoors.
20 REPLIES 20

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
our cousins used to tell me they loved it when we came to visit. they noted that it stopped raining when we showed up. and started backup when we left. keep the rain, other wise the mosquitoes will eat you alive

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
One thing about it...you will miss the crowds and have your pick of campgrounds. You could get a little dusting in late September up around Denali, but it usually melts off during the day. I travel through there every September pulling a 24' boat to the Yukon river and never had a bad trip. Bring bug dope, late Aug and early Sept no seeums can be bad.
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Many touristic things were closing down, or thinking about closing down, around the start of September last year at the tail end of my Alaska trip. Steward and Prince George might be nigh to ghost towns in your itinerary. Fairbanks wouldn't be so much (though e.g. the Pioneer Park attractions would be closing around that time) since it's very much a year-round city, not as completely dependent on tourism for its continued existence. Gas and services along the way would likely also be less available, but should still be entirely adequate. Weather certainly could be a consideration towards the end of the timeframe, too, as was mentioned.

I think it would be preferable to shift your schedule a few weeks back if practical, but if not I'm sure it would be a delightful trip none the less.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Most of our friends have been a mid May departure ambling up through Alberta/BC returning mid to late August early September being in BC area typically as berry season starts, going up one and back the other Highways Hwy 37 and Hwy 97 (Cassier/Stewart/Alcan). Both highways have a lot to offer for stop offs.

Canada is absolutely breath taking, so you'll likely want to allow yourselves plenty of time travelling through BC and Alberta enroute.

Just saying and to each their own.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Most folks seem to head north by mid June returning mid August.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mother Nature is the big factor!
You could have into the first of October for decent weather. It will or could get cold. Snow and rain is possible.
You may want to visit the southern portion on the way backrather than northbound.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker