cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Way to Access Philadelphia?

j37642
Explorer
Explorer
We will be staying west of Philadelphia in a campground and want to go to Independance Hall and see the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia but don't want to drive our dual wheel, long bed truck in tight places like I imagine we would have to do to visit those places. What other options would we have visiting there like parking outside of town and riding public transportation? If you have specific help on where we need to go to access the transportation etc. I would like to hear about it. Thanks in advance.
Jerry 35J Bounder Diesel motorhome
2005 Lance 1181 Max with all options
2003 Dodge Laramie 3500 CTD HO DRW, Air bags, SprSprngs, Rancho R9000X, XM Radio, Garmin GPS, Hellwig sway bar, Centramatics
..RVing since 1966
6 REPLIES 6

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
I have to chuckle a bit. You are obviously smarter than I am.

I had a very memorable visit to Philadelphia. I can't wait to go back.

However, next time I will NOT be driving my 40' Eagle to Independence Hall......
At the moment, there are few popular "Eagles" in Philly anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚ Bet you had fun down there.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have to chuckle a bit. You are obviously smarter than I am.

I had a very memorable visit to Philadelphia. I can't wait to go back.

However, next time I will NOT be driving my 40' Eagle to Independence Hall......
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option, not necessarily a better one, is to drive to the stadium area south of the city and park there and take the subway in. On days when there's no sports event, parking is available for free. Linky

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Whereabouts 'west' of Philly - there isn't a whole heck of a lot except for the above mentioned KOA in C'ville, which is about 45 miles west of town, and does offer guided tours of the city. There is public transport, of a sort, from the western suburbs there, if you look for SEPTA schedules and routes. Look for the REGIONAL RAIL line, the Thorndale route. It runs in along the Main Line from out there. Commuter routes will take you into center city ("Suburban Station", not "30th Street") where you can easily find a taxi or even walk down to the Indep. Hall/LB area. The good thing about Philly's center city area is that it's relatively small - Suburban Station is only about 12 blocks from IH/LB area. The Art Museum/Franklin Institute and Natural History Museum are a dozen or so blocks in the other direction. I think they're about finished cleaning up after the Pope's visit, so the roads should all be open by this weekend.

http://www4.septa.org/maps/system/index.html
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

bdlaise
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on what campground you are staying at, the KOA in Coatsville PA has shuttle to the city.

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't been there yet but will be going shortly and here is what I plan to do: Campus Park & Ride