cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boondocking NS & Newfie..?

MaybzNDave
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving New Brunswick tomorrow to head through Nova Scotia and onto Newfoundland. As you all are well aware I'm sure, Newfie can be rather expensive. Any recommendations of where to boondock, places to dump, etc?

We are also concerned that by the time we start heading back to the states "camping season" will be over, and so if no campgrounds are open we'll still need to be able to find places to rest, and handle the tanks.

Thank you everyone in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We go every two years to Newfoundland almost totally boondocks. We do buy the camping pass and stay at a few parks AND we use those parks to dump and take on water. We always ask about the condition of the water (usually we are early in the season so that is more of an issue I suspect). We also use their laundry facilities at the parks. We've boondocks on beaches, picnic parks or places where they have interpretive panels, firewood storage places, headlands, many scenic overlooks, etc.
Ask about where to dump and someone will guide you.

Nova Scotia: in 2016 we had planned a week to buzz around Nova Scotia before Newfoundland but extended it to two weeks. We exclusively boondocked the whole time (we were early in the season so some places won't fly in season): a few lighthouses, down long dead end roads that ended at the sea and even Louisbourg
lighthouse. We like to hike and have little interest in places like peggy's cove tourist trap type places as there are many more much nicer without the commercial aspect.

Check out our blog: http://roadsidechronicles.blogspot.com/2016/05/off-to-nova-scotia-and-newfoundland-2016.html might give you some ideas

I think the provincial parks may be only open through September...not 100% sure on that one. You didn't say how long your were staying or hoping to stay.

Next June we go back again...

MaybzNDave wrote:
Leaving New Brunswick tomorrow to head through Nova Scotia and onto Newfoundland. As you all are well aware I'm sure, Newfie can be rather expensive. Any recommendations of where to boondock, places to dump, etc?

We are also concerned that by the time we start heading back to the states "camping season" will be over, and so if no campgrounds are open we'll still need to be able to find places to rest, and handle the tanks.

Thank you everyone in advance!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard that the Newfoundland residents are incredibly nice, polite, generous and helpful. Meet as many as you can; I think you are in for a treat.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

MaybzNDave
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone! So much helpful information already, in such a short time. ❤️

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Granted I moved away from Newfoundland in 2008, but in my time, I simply cruised allowing an hour to find a place.

Often and often I found places where a campground had been set up, but never continued. So, you'd have a site for parking and setting up that would do just fine.

Most municipalities with information centers have a place for dumping.

Enjoy.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
DW just reminded me of the $4. Per night municipal RV parking you pay for at the Crows Head town hall north of Twillingate.

Huge gravel spots near the lighthouse with no facilities. Just an amazing view of the ocean and cliffs. We spent hours there enjoying the scenery. DW wouldn't stay there because of the height of the parking spots 😞

DW saw a sign for a dump station near the town hall.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
As far as dumping goes there are a few places that will charge you to dump but I know at least 2 that appear to be completely open. One is adjacent to the entrance of the municipal park in Lewisporte. I've never seen it closed. The other is located in Deer Lake on the north side of the TCH. There may be others but I've used both of them.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned today from Newfoundland. Got off the ferry a few hours ago.

Check out the Provincial Parks of Newfoundland. Lots of dry camping sites and "serviced" sites. They have a good website with size limits for each site. They all have a dump station.

Newfoundland wasn't much more expensive than Nova Scotia. Camping season in Newfoundland seems to run till October.

Their fresh produce stands opened last week finally so you can enjoy their local bounty. Note however, that you can't bring any potatoes, carrots, turnips or other root plants onto the ferry when leaving Newfoundland.

Enjoy your trip.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I found Allstays app pretty accurate when we were getting around in winter time. You can set the filters to show places that are open all year so that at least gives you some campgrounds you should be able to rely on, but still need to phone to check. Same with dump points
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map