cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Border News

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
US border to Canada and Mexico will remain closed gor another month.
32 REPLIES 32

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
I was unable to find quickly the cost of the Canadian tests, but the rates from springtime were about 3,500 pesos.

....the present cost for a "covid test" (PCR) in Quebec is $240 CAD. The cost of the Canadian-side test, if it is for travel purposes, is charged to the traveler. There are a few preferred private Covid test labs in Quebec. Now, the cost for a travel Covid test in "other Provinces" will vary.

Presently, US citizens traveling for pleasure in Canada don't need a Canada-side test when driving back across the US border (this may change over time).

US citizens driving into Canada as tourists after August 9th need only take "an Canadian Fed approved" Covid test with negative results just prior to crossing (and be fully vaccinated). Also, anyone driving across the Canadian border (any citizenship) have to go online and register their trip through the ArriveCAN website. Remember to bring hard copies of your test and proof of 2 Covid vaccinations when traveling to Canada.

Since shortly after August 9th, the CBSA agents are not requiring the arrivals to proceed to the CBSA "test tent" at the border entries. However(!), your CBSA agent may at random, require your car load of passengers to proceed to the "tent" and take the PCR test at a border crossing (either in front of an agent; or, via a kit given to you). No quarantine is needed after crossing into Canada. You have to keep a diary of where/when you have been for 14 days (this for potential tracing purposes).

I am personally unaware if you need a Canadian-side Covid test if you are a Canadian (or, US) citizen boarding a return flight. Anyone have personal flying experience over last few days here, on way to Mexico?

Be aware that the rules can change at any time.

No date yet exists when Canadians can drive south into the US. My personal opinion is that the Delta wave will significantly drop off by appx the 1st week of November and US-side hospitalization clog-ups will diminish by roughly mid December. IMO: by November 21st, the US will allow Canadians to cross in motor vehicles. This may be the only opportunity that fully vaccinated Canadians will get to cross to snowbird (in Mexico or, the US). My prediction after November? Way too "chaos theory" to say anything.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Talleyho69
Unfortunately, we have to agree with you.

That's why we always managed to take at least 4 months off every year and play. Then, we were fortunate to be able to completely retire shortly before 62, stay very active, and hope to continue to keep playing hard for many more years!

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly the trend I have noticed is a couple retires, downsizes home, buys an RV, enjoys camping in Mexico for a few years, then one spouse loses their health and that's it for camping.
Most of the people we camped with in 1999 in Teacapan returned a few years and then the news came.
The window of opportunity for people that worked until 65 years of age and then started camping can be very short.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
Crossed over to Mexico in February. We're planning to go again shortly.

Over the years we've met some good people that traveled to Mexico and for whatever reason, actually liked our company and become lifelong friends. We got along so well with some of these people, that we've traveled to their homes in their country and they have traveled to our home.

A lot of them came from different places in the world and we met them in Mexico. We sat on the beach, shared a drink and some food. Talked about life. Told stories about our past lives.
Watched the sunset.

Traveled to over 23 countries and lived in 2 of them . Mexico seems to be the one we go back to. Proximity? Maybe.

Started losing some of these friends to the rigors of life. As we get older the number of friends we lose tends to accelerate . Maybe just my imagination . We plan.........God has his own plans.
Just lost another friend to cancer. We won't see them in Mexico again but we'll remember the good times we had sitting on the beach, sharing our limited time with them.

We plan to have many more good times with friends in mexico.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
You might beat upcoming restrictions but you could get stuck being somewhere with covid everywhere and travel restrictions.

Where would you rather be stuck this coming Autumn and Winter? Alberta? Minnesota?

Or Kino Bay, Puerto Vallarta, Bacalar?

You might have to jump thru hoops getting your RV to Mexico if you are from Canada. Make the move soon before your government locks you at home.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what you wrote Renee but I suggested nothing other than making oneself informed about Covid-19. I am advocating nothing other than doing due diligence.
There is a wealth of information and data at our fingertips - if any issue ever required personal fact checking this is the one.

On edit - this is a Mexico and South America discussion. Without fail people with no actual Mexico RV travel background or interest jump into discussions here. Those comments (I would hope) are sorted out.
Crime is another topic that often brings comments like "I would never go to Mexico" from people that have never been and never would have gone to Mexico anyway. Those comments add little to the discussion.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Good Lord. Shut off the TV, the radio, put away the newspaper. Do some research with an open mind.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
For once I agree with playaboy. When the health systems are collapsing and still lots of unvaxed and unmasked people Governments will have to impose extreme lockdowns. There will be no other choice. I can hear all the "my rights" people screaming.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
playaboy wrote:
If you think the USA and Canadian travel restrictions are tough now, just wait a couple of months for the new lock downs. Peoples freedom to travel will disappear in the name of saving lives.

Folks, you should leave NOW and go to the location you want to ride this HYSTERIA out while you are able to.

Vaccinations won't stop the restrictions that are coming

You don't understand. Vast majority of Canadians are only wintering South of the border, not living there. There are several reasons for this. Going for 6 months will not help to ride out whatever is going on now and could keep going on for years. And even if some of us will go this year, it will make more sense to leave in the fall - not "now" when the weather is warm here.

Travel restrictions for US nationals are nothing, especially regarding Mexico. They can drive or fly without problem. To fly back to the US they only need a cheap antigen test that can be arranged in many hotels in Mexico or done in a lab in one hour.

I understand what is going on!!!! Do you?

My crystal ball says that mandatory lock downs will be coming. The borders between the USA/Canada will close to ALL travel. You Canadians will not be allowed to fly or drive to the USA or leave the country, even if you are vaccinated. If you do leave Canada, you will pay a lot of money to get through the mandated quarantine upon returning. You will be restricted to your health districts, not allowed to travel between Provinces. You will be forced to get a 3rd, 4th and 5th booster shot.

In the USA, there will be restrictions on interstate travel. Vaccine passport are going to be required to work, even remotely. Restaurants and retail business will be closed. No crowds at sporting events. No Church. Basically the continued suspension of the "Bill of Rights"

Almot, do you want to go somewhere for the winter? GO NOW, while you still have the choice to do so. Get in your RV and go to where you want to ride this out. Pretty soon you will not be allowed to travel AT ALL.

All in the name of winning the war against the virus and saving lives.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
You might beat upcoming restrictions but you could get stuck being somewhere with covid everywhere and travel restrictions.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
"If you think the USA and Canadian travel restrictions are tough now, just wait a couple of months for the new lock downs. Peoples freedom to travel will disappear in the name of saving lives.
Folks, you should leave NOW and go to the location you want to ride this HYSTERIA out while you are able to.
Vaccinations won't stop the restrictions that are coming"

You're probably right. Fall and winter are traditionally worse for viruses. Even nations that are more heavily vaccinated (Israel, Iceland) are having surges now - when folks are normally healthier (outside, vitamin D from the sun).
I'm still holding off until early January - too hot and too rainy for motorcycle travel for the next few months.
I can only hope that for Americans to be able to cross north and south as has been the practice thus far.

Talleyho69
I spent only a very few minutes this afternoon (pet crisis) and found that at ZIH, the Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa airport, the cost of the test to return to the US is 569 pesos.

I was unable to find quickly the cost of the Canadian tests, but the rates from springtime were about 3,500 pesos.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
playaboy wrote:
If you think the USA and Canadian travel restrictions are tough now, just wait a couple of months for the new lock downs. Peoples freedom to travel will disappear in the name of saving lives.

You don't understand. Vast majority of Canadians are only wintering South of the border, not living there. There are several reasons for this. Going for 6 months will not help to ride out whatever is going on now and could keep going on for years. And even if some of us will go this year, it will make more sense to leave in the fall - not "now" when the weather is warm here.

Travel restrictions for US nationals are nothing, especially regarding Mexico. They can drive or fly without problem. To fly back to the US they only need a cheap antigen test that can be arranged in many hotels in Mexico or done in a lab in one hour.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer