cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Burlington, VT to Nigara Falls, can.

Maine-iacs
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that if I work North from Burlington and pick up CAN route 401 it will take me directly to Niagara Falls.

Best route? Campgrounds and interesting sights along the way? How's the road?

Thanks!
Maine-iacs from the Great State of Maine

Jim
2018 Cougar 32RLI
2021 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab
7 REPLIES 7

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maine-iacs wrote:
Thanks to all for the info. Having seen the US side we were thinking about trying the Canadian side for a change of scenery.

There is lots of alternate routes on the southside that are very different scenery from the Lakeshore or the highway. For instance if you drop down through the mountains and out through the finger lakes it is beautiful scenery. In case youโ€™ve never been that way before.

Maine-iacs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the info. Having seen the US side we were thinking about trying the Canadian side for a change of scenery.
Maine-iacs from the Great State of Maine

Jim
2018 Cougar 32RLI
2021 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
almcc wrote:
DavidandDayle wrote:
401 does not go to Niagara Falls. You have to make your way to the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) sometime after you pass Toronto. 403 is probably the best bet. The whole trip from about Oshawa to Hamilton is urban. Avoid 407 as it is the most expensive toll road on the continent.

And 401 across Toronto is the worst expressway for congestion that we have been on.

I would probably take the N Y Thruway from where you are.

X2 on the 407 toll road! We went from west Toronto to the end of 407 on the east and return, cost $95, just driving a jeep! And unlike the US toll roads they bill non-citizens as well!

US toll roads bill Canadian vehicles too. NY was the first of a bunch of states to jump on that bandwagon. Speeding tickets, and tolls absolutely follow travellers these days.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
DavidandDayle wrote:
401 does not go to Niagara Falls. You have to make your way to the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) sometime after you pass Toronto. 403 is probably the best bet. The whole trip from about Oshawa to Hamilton is urban. Avoid 407 as it is the most expensive toll road on the continent.

And 401 across Toronto is the worst expressway for congestion that we have been on.

X2 on the 407 toll road! We went from west Toronto to the end of 407 on the east and return, cost $95, just driving a jeep! And unlike the US toll roads they bill non-citizens as well!

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer

David and Dayle

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
You can take that route, but other than Canadian scenery, you might not like the rest of the drive.

Currently the price gas on that route is about $5.5-0 / gallon factoring in the current exchange rate.

I would go down to the Lake Champlain Bridge and across 8 to Rome and west from there across the south side of Lake Ontario.

x2
from Oshawa area (east of Toronto to Hamilton (west end of Lake Ontario) your scenery will be cars, trucks, cars, trucks and highway signs.
If you are one that would avoid Atlanta traffic, you would also want to avoid the Toronto area highways, and from New England, the best way would be south of Lake Ontario through New York.
Sites, let us know what you are interested in, nature, history, wineries, lots of everything in the Niagara area beyond the actual Falls.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can take that route, but other than Canadian scenery, you might not like the rest of the drive.

Currently the price gas on that route is about $5.5-0 / gallon factoring in the current exchange rate.

I would go down to the Lake Champlain Bridge and across 8 to Rome and west from there across the south side of Lake Ontario.