cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CA 299 from Eureka to Redding

LittleJimsSon
Explorer
Explorer
CA 299 seems to be the only way inland from Eureka and it looks pretty "crooked" on the map. Will we have any particular problems on this road towing a 30' TT? Target travel date is late August 2018. Thanks for any first-hand observations!
One measure of a person is how they treat someone who can be of no particular use to them.
10 REPLIES 10

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on ones comfort zone, if you drive other mountain routes then that's all this is a mountain route. The Trinity river is awsome, many large turnouts for viewing and pics, don't miss it.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Have pulled my 36' 5th wheel over 299. When I lived in Redding and went to Eureka.....that was the way we went all the time.
cpaulsen

LittleJimsSon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all for your impressions of this road. We'll re-think the route!
One measure of a person is how they treat someone who can be of no particular use to them.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problem towing a trailer on that road.

But they are having continuing geological problems with that road -- landslides and soil creep. So there are often construction delays. No big deal, but something to take into account.

If you are headed north from Eureka, I would recommend 199. If you are headed south, 299 is good. So is 20 from Ft. Bragg, eventually getting to Interstate 5 at Williams.

Don't take 36, though, unless you are on a very sporty motorcycle. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
199 Crescent City to I5 is a better road. All other post pretty much cover
it.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mark, I drove it with a heavily loaded under powered tank truck with no EB. That was not fun.

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
We pulled our thirty footer with no problem. As noted, curvy with grades, but typical for a mountain road. Fully loaded log trucks drive it. Narrow in places with little no shoulder, and not a lot of RV friendly fuel stops, so top off first.

199 Crescent City to I5 is a better road.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
It is a beautiful drive but there are some steep grades to deal with. Take your time, use the gears and spare the brakes.

Having an Exhaust Brake when going on 299 really makes you gald that you have one!!!!!

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a beautiful drive but there are some steep grades to deal with. Take your time, use the gears and spare the brakes.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
LittleJimsSon wrote:
CA 299 seems to be the only way inland from Eureka and it looks pretty "crooked" on the map. Will we have any particular problems on this road towing a 30' TT? Target travel date is late August 2018. Thanks for any first-hand observations!

299 is a pretty drive with many curves and hills. A lot of construction going on which might mean periods of delays. 299 will test your brakes and patience. Not my first choice but is doable with your RV. If coming from the north, I would cut over to I-5 in Oregon. A little further but much easier drive and pretty drive is south to Hwy. 20 around Clear Lake