cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caborca to pp

bcheavyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody traveled this route lately? What was the road condition? Any information would be appreciated
5 REPLIES 5

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Is there still a detour on that route?

Moisheh

I was through there Monday. There are several miles of detour parallel to the highway they are rebuilding before you get to the Herradura Mine turn off. A little dusty but no problem.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Is there still a detour on that route?

Moisheh

pomsplus
Explorer
Explorer
Just did it yesterday. There are some rough sections and some great new sections. There was also a Military/Federaly check with heat sensor. A very nice drive with some beautiful country outside Caborca.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I did it last year. It was narrow but quite OK, a few rough sections near PP.

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just came through last night. It really depends on your level of pain or the size of your rig. Certainly it is a "daylight only" drive for the first timer. From Caborca to Y Griega (the Y)pretty good 2 lane road depending on time of day traffic could be light to moderate. After the turn towards Puerto Peรฑasco at Y Griega there are a series of small villages you travel through, no need to be in a hurry as there are speed bumps as you approach these villages and the locals will pass you anyway. After about 30 minutes North of the Y you will come to a junction that points you to Puerto Peรฑasco or to Desemboque you will of course stay to the right. The road to this point has been pretty good overall. From here to the Herradura mine turn off the road goes from super smooth to 2 sections of "off road" graded gravel while several bridges are being updated. This last for about 30 minutes at slow speed. At the Herradura mine turn off there is a general inspection point that you need to stop for. After the check point you will be about an hour from Peรฑasco the road has some smooth areas but is narrow, little to no shoulder and has some areas of pot holes that get repaired every week and then reappear. I travel this road very often and pass it pretty easily.

If you have a larger rig and prefer highway travel I would take the few miles longer route on the very good highway 2 straight to Sonoyta then south 8 to Peรฑasco, it may cause less stress to the passenger. 2 cents worth.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora