cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlanta to Buffalo

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are planning on going to Buffalo, NY and then contemplating heading over to Portland, Maine. Best route? Would it be more feasible to go t Portland first then Buffalo, then head back? Any help with the highways/byways up that way would definitely be appreciated. We will be driving a C and pulling a toad. Thanks in advance for any info....
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country
9 REPLIES 9

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Alternate routes 5 & 20 are a good choice. I-90(Thruway) being a toll road can be expensive.

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
Pitch, thanks..yeah, we do enjoy taking the byways and seeing the sights. We will not be in 'that' much of a hurry, so this just might be "the ticket".
2016 Bounder 35K

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always recommend route 5&20 across NY. It does go through every town but also passes thru some beautiful country. If you are in no hurry this is a good route.

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
Bobjo, thanks for the info...yeah, we really not sure if going to Maine after or before...sounds like after would be a good option. Thanks so much.
2016 Bounder 35K

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
Are you going back south after Maine? Go from Buffalo across Vermont - visit Ben and Jerry's, Cabot Cheese, etc. Cut through New Hampshire - White Mountain National Forest - Kancamangus Highway - over through Fryeburg Maine to Portland Maine by Sebago Lake. Then back through MA on Route 2.

If you're doing I-95 through MA - you have to watch day and time you're travelling or you'll hit rush hour 7 to 10 am and 3 to 7 pm.

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, looking at the maps that is what I was thinking, but not having experienced any of the roads there, was hoping my plans were on track. All I need to concern myself with now is packing it up and checking thing out for a flawless trip. Yea...
2016 Bounder 35K

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Myself, I'd run I-75 north to Cincinnati, I-71 up to Cleveland, I-90 to Buffalo if you're planning on running interstate all the way, this way you avoid most of the higher mountains that you'd encounter on I-81. Plus you go the Tenn with plenty of things to see along the way. The rom Buffalo it's I-90 into Mass, I-295 north, I-95 north to Portland.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
If you are not planning on visiting NYC..avoid the whole mess of the north east especially NJ/NY, Baltimore/Wash DC and go around it all...your ride will be more relaxed.
snip

I would really avoid route 95 in the congested area of CT, NY, NJ, MD...but you might not mind that?

yep and I would use a bunch of I-81 my self.
bumpy

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not planning on visiting NYC..avoid the whole mess of the north east especially NJ/NY, Baltimore/Wash DC and go around it all...your ride will be more relaxed.

If you are going to buffalo and it works out for your route, route 17 (it may have another number also, map is not in front of me) is rather scenic (FREE) with not a lot of rest stops or big towns. The thruway is pricey with what you are driving. You can then take back
roads up to Buffalo (if you like back roads versus highways and are not in a big hurry). Route 17 can be up and down a bit though...still that would be my choice for one way.

I would really avoid route 95 in the congested area of CT, NY, NJ, MD...but you might not mind that?