cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cascade locks to Beverly Beach State Park

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best route from Cascade Locks to Beverly Beach State Park pulling a 5th wheel?
Should I take 84 over to I-5?
Thanks
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.
8 REPLIES 8

mmasw52
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, like people are saying, there's no easy way to avoid Portland. It can be done, but you'd be adding a lot of time, and windy roads and small town stop-lights have their own sets of frustrations

I'd agree with leaving the Locks in the 8:30-9am range as being the best bet...unless you want to leave at 4am!

Going thru Newberg works. So does going 22 thru Salem. Both will land you in Lincoln City..and that can be frustrating. Another route my wife and I use all the time (we live in Salem) is 22 to Dallas and then go thru Kings Valley to Hwy 20. That will drop you in Newport and from there it's a few miles north to Beverly Beach. That's an uncrowded country drive for a large section of it

good luck!

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
An alternative would be 84, 205, 5, 22, 101. That's a more direct route but I'm guessing the others are routing you around Lincoln City due to traffic. I was in Lincoln City a couple weeks ago and it was pretty mild. Anytime during the week should be fine but weekends can get pretty bad.

Through Portland? Yeah, it's tough. I'd agree that the sweet spot would be right after the AM commute but beware there is an ever decreasing window before the afternoon commute. If you could pull out of Cascade Locks around 9AM I'd say you'd do about the best. That would put you through Portland and south on 5 by 11.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I'd take 84, 205, 5, 34, 20, 101. Midday through Portland area.

I agree. However, I would try to hit 205 between 10:00AM and 1:00 PM or before 6:30 AM. I would also take highway 18 to Lincoln City and then down. There is a new bypass around Newberg that makes it pretty convenient. Once on 5 south, take the Champooeg exit and it will take you into Newberg and right to the bypass. The bypass will merge onto 99 for a quarter of a mile before you take the bypass around McMinnville.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

x2

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
Bayley wrote:
What is the best route from Cascade Locks to Beverly Beach State Park pulling a 5th wheel?
Should I take 84 over to I-5?
Thanks

Thatโ€™s the route we always took. Portland traffic is just something you have to deal with. Try traveling off hours.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
What I was trying to find out....is there a route east of Portland to take to avoid so much congestion.
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Roads and Routes forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine