cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chattanooga shortcut

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
On my way south on I-75 I'm considering cutting the corner at Chattanooga and taking TN 60 at Cleveland south to reconnect with I-75 at Dalton.

I'm a 36' DP with toad.

Is that direct route likely to present excessive excitement? Thanks.
-jbh-
4 REPLIES 4

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
chuckm99 wrote:

When you reach Dalton, look for a highway marked Dalton Bypass and turn right there. I think it is Highway 41. A couple of miles further, it hits I-75.

TN -60 turns into GA-71 Last 0.2 mile will be 3 lane, right lane takes you to US-41 North, US-76 West. It is well marked. About 4 miles to I-75. Go under I-75 and turn left for 75 south
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

I use Garmin Basecamp for planning and I'd scoped out the route using Google Earth; I was just concerned there might be something I missed.
-jbh-

chuckm99
Explorer
Explorer
John,

I grew up in Cleveland TN. We always take the the shortcut you asked about. Takes 20 miles off the trip. Roads are fine. When you reach Cleveland, take exit 25 and go east on Highway 60. The road numbering/naming can become confusing, but just stay on it til you see the exit for Dalton/Highway 60.

When you reach Dalton, look for a highway marked Dalton Bypass and turn right there. I think it is Highway 41. A couple of miles further, it hits I-75.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is what I do when wanting to know about a certain road I haven't been on before. Use GOOGLE Search and type in Cleveland TN... Then when the MAP shows up on the right side of the screen click on that... When it brings up the map then select SATELLITE VIEW and go full page... ZOOM on down until you can see vehicles on the roadway map...

Follow 60 down to the Georgia STATELINE. I see lots of truck traffic and smaller trucks pulling trailers and cars on this two lane wide 60 road... this part of the roadway is called DALTON PIKE. All looks great to me with wide open road and no big turns or loop backs...

Looks like a good country drive until you get down to the start of congestion nearing Dalton GA. I would take the 41 BYPASS and pickup the I75 Interstate from there.... Looks like alot of congestion staying on 71 going through the town...

make the decision yourself on what you think by viewing the entire run by moving the map along the way...

We do this all the time viewing the new to us roads. Also works great looking down on the RV camp grounds and seeing the layout for good shade etc...

Doing this on the MTN ROADS is great.

Only took a few minutes to walk the 60/71 road from Cleveland to Dalton... You can also go to STREET VIEW if you like and look straight out at things as you walk along the view. Great for congested areas...

At the Georgia line it turns into a four lane highway with a divided center.

This is what we do haha... Give it a try with your computer or tablet. We find using GOOGLE works the best with the map views

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS