cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chicago O'Hare to south Bend, IN

sd1209
Explorer
Explorer
Have to leave the RV at home and do a quick trip to South Bend....flying into O'Hare, renting a car and driving to South Bend....

Arriving at 6PM on a Thursday, will prob get out of the airport area at 7PM.....

What is the best way to get to South Bend, around/through Chicago, totally unfamiliar with the area.....Have to consider traffic, etc......
Steve and Liz
Elko, Nv and San Diego, Ca
2017 Lance 1172
2016 F350 dually
2010 Jeep Wrangler
2 REPLIES 2

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
take a look at a map.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get on the tollway near the airport, and latter the Indiana tollway. Tell the rental co. you'll be using the tollway. With the rental car transponder you don't have to stop at the Illinois tollbooths, but the tolls will appear on your rental bill.

I294 to I94 to I90

Locals skip the Indiana tollway by exiting I94 at US20 and then IN 2, but for a visitor that probably isn't worth the extra navigation steps, especially at night. (GPS or Google Maps may direct you this way.)

The connection between I94 and I90 is a little tricky. I'd check the maps for details, so the signed turns (and/or gps) don't take you by surprise.

Depending on where your are going in South Bend, you might want to take the US31/20 beltway around the west/south side.