cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colorado 470 around Denver to Fort Collins?

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We will be coming west on I70 and wonder if it's better to take 470 to I25 or stay on I70 and take 270 to I25. We will be in a truck camper and not towing anything but would like to minimize the traffic to get around Denver.

Thanks
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss
7 REPLIES 7

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
You can take your chances on the tolls, we ran it not knowing was a toll road, but it does not have any collection capability. Called the state about tolls and they said dont worry will be sent in mail, that was almost 3 years ago and still no mail. They have to see your license plate to get a reading and some rv's have them positioned I guess where they are not readily visible, I would guess like your camper being over the bumper license plate.

Hank, Give us your address and we'll send you a bill today!

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
You can take your chances on the tolls, we ran it not knowing was a toll road, but it does not have any collection capability. Called the state about tolls and they said dont worry will be sent in mail, that was almost 3 years ago and still no mail. They have to see your license plate to get a reading and some rv's have them positioned I guess where they are not readily visible, I would guess like your camper being over the bumper license plate.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
NEOK wrote:
We will be coming west on I70 and wonder if it's better to take 470 to I25 or stay on I70 and take 270 to I25. We will be in a truck camper and not towing anything but would like to minimize the traffic to get around Denver.

Thanks

If you are good with letting your money go take it - otherwise time your trip around rush hour and I-70 to I-25 will be fine.

BOL,

Thom - really - not any faster - IMHO - at MID DAY - we drive it all the time to the Airport and 10 to 3 is almost always just as fast and I can take the Granddaughters to get Ice Cream with the savings. And the Kisses and Hugs are well worth the 5 minutes longer drive.

470 has the pricing set so to keep most of the traffic off and is always easy - We have the same thing with the Inner County Connector (ICC -10) in Maryland during rush hours it can and will save you time but most of the time it is the same.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Late morning and you will be fine barring a accident.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Just piling on and agreeing with what's been posted. I have a daily commute to Fort Collins and the stretch of I-25 northbound from 470 to Fort Collins is completely painless. 🙂

I'm cheap so I wouldn't pay the tolls and just take 70 right on westbound to I-25 and then up. Barring an accident, you'll have a couple of miles of traffic and then it'll clear up.

Pick a non-commute time of day and it should be trouble free.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Far less traffic on 470 around from I-70 to I-25, with perhaps some build up around DIA. There's 2 toll plazas (now automated), and license plate reader tolls are $3.55 for 2 axles, so your toll will be $7.10 that you'll get in the mail about 45 to 60 days later.

Going this way will also put you north of the congestion from I-270 merging in to I-25, which is almost always backed up. Contributing to it is traffic from I-76 exiting to I-25 NB to Fort Collins. So there's I-270, I-76 and I-25 traffic coming together. There's been construction from that merge north to 120th Ave, most of it is completed, but still some slow downs in the area from 84th Ave north to 120th Ave. Most of the time it's volume slowing, but there's an express lane that's open and being tested, and it does help some.

I drive this a lot. Was just down there on Wednesday, on 470. Practically no traffic at mid day. And was on the merger traffic from I-76 exiting north to I-25 on Saturday late in the day. Traffic was very heavy and it was bogged down until I could get all the way over for the HOV/express lane.

Traffic with no toll versus far less traffic with a toll. Your choice.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
NEOK wrote:

Thanks

If you are good with letting you money go take it - otherwise time your trip around rush hour and I-70 to I-25 will be fine.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach