cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crossing into Canada at Callis, what should we expect?

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
We are going from Ellsworth Maine, to St. John's NB, then on to Hallifax with our 5th wheel. Traveling with 3 dogs, we have letters showing they are all up to date with their shots and in good health. Anything you can pass on to make the crossing easier? Thanks in advance!
30 REPLIES 30

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Criminal record check is completed by both countries. They scan your passport and anything undesirable shows up on the screen. I know as I used to do to work as a customs officer.

Not every criminal offence will automatically keep you from crossing the border. For instance having a minor offence like disturbing the peace, that happened 40 years ago shouldn't be an issue, but it might be and finding out while waiting in line for clearance is not what you want to happen.

Anyone that has an offence should contact the embassy of the country they wish to visit and see if they are eligible for a pre-clearance.

It really depends on how serious the offence was, how long ago it happened and if you have been a clean living citizen since.

It's all about the risk that you pose
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
So a criminal conviction (regardless of what it is), will prohibit you from crossing? They do an arrest record check at the border? Wow! Did not know that. Canadian customs has access to US criminal records too?

Wish we would do that at our border.... I would say maybe we do, but I doubt it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
You have your passports, no weapons that won't pass CDN Border rules, checked for the latest foods you can or cannot take across, no firewood, no criminal convictions for anyone in the party? I think you are good to go.

EXCEPT if they are checking every "nth" vehicle and you are the nth vehicle. Both sides are usually very courteous and as efficient as possible. I've crossed that border many times, both in an RV and in a regular vehicle with only 2 exceptions to the above. One was just a freak reason (long story) any one was they were checking every "nth" vehicle and we where the "nth" vehicle.

True enough but one can't plan for that. It happens..or it don't. Either way....there ya are.

As a buddy used to say.."if this was where I lived, I'd be home now."

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks to all of you, I will toast you all with a Keith's or a Moosehead!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Herring chokers cain`t make a clicky?.. geezus bye...

clicky...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w

Gary haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man

If you are visiting Halifax it would be a good thing to learn the words to a good Sea Shanty (a local form of music), before arriving.

Barret's Privateers would be an acceptable start. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w

Like all Sea Shanty music, it sounds much better at night, after a belly full of the afore-mentioned Keith's or Moosehead. You might find Moosehead Green in the better beer merchants in Maine which would assist in your practising of both the song and the drinking.

If no Moosehead can be found to help you prepare, you could try Miller High Life, just double up the quantities.

While in Halifax you should check out the very piers mentioned in the song. It's a great city with lots to do!
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
In New Brunswick there are no tolls, so it's a free pass.

If you go to PEI there is no toll island bound, you pay to leave the island. I don't think the Fixed Link bridge recognizes EZ pass but here is the website: https://www.straitpass.com/default.aspx

In Nova Scotia the only highway toll is on the Cobequid Pass, part of Highway 104, which is the Trans Canada Highway through Northern Nova Scotia and directly between you and Halifax. Here's what their website says:

"No, currently E-Z Pass transponders do not work on the maritime toll facilities. A different type of transponder is required and a separate account for each maritime toll facility."

There are two toll bridges in Halifax as well, No EZ Pass. Tolls are $1.00 per car, I never drive my motorhome across them as they lead directly into major traffic. If you are driving your rig explore ways around them.

Credit Cards are accepted everywhere so your need for cash will be limited. I advise that you buy the small amount of cash you need from your bank as retailers here are all over the map when it comes to that issue. You need cash for the Cobequid Pass. With your 5th wheel it will be $5.25 CDN each way.

I should mention that when in Nova Scotia the beer requested should be "Alexander Keith's" or Keith's. Moosehead is still acceptable there but the bar tender might squint at you with one eye, in order to really check you out, if you order anything "from away"
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I am truly sorry for the spelling of Saint John, but on closer examination, I used 's not just s, meaning "belonging to John! As for the st. Instead of Saint, one finger typing on your I pad tends to make you take short cuts! Lol! One final question though, what about tolls? I have EZ Pass, is that accepted? Thanks again, you all have been helpful

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped crossing at Calais.

I've found Houlton is "friendly"
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
You have your passports, no weapons that won't pass CDN Border rules, checked for the latest foods you can or cannot take across, no firewood, no criminal convictions for anyone in the party? I think you are good to go.

EXCEPT if they are checking every "nth" vehicle and you are the nth vehicle. Both sides are usually very courteous and as efficient as possible. I've crossed that border many times, both in an RV and in a regular vehicle with only 2 exceptions to the above. One was just a freak reason (long story) any one was they were checking every "nth" vehicle and we where the "nth" vehicle.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We've crossed twice in the last month. Once at the original border crossing and once at the new one. Both times less then 5 minutes.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Not to be too picky but it's "Saint John" No abbreviation of the word Saint and no final "s". It is spelled that way to distinguish it from St. John's NFLD.

While here remember to never add the "s" to the end of the name else be prepared for a friendly reminder from locals. They will be quick to correct any incorrect abbreviation of the "Saint" as well.

Now armed with this local knowledge you can fit in perfectly with the locals provided you remember a couple of rules about beer. When asked what kind of beer you want there are only two correct answers, Moosehead or Alpine. Moose Green is somewhat acceptable in urban areas as well. All three beers are made by the same brewery and despite years of consumption I think all three are really the same beer, just in different colour bottles.

I personally like the Moose Green, unless deer hunting, then Alpine is mandatory.

Do not expect a hard time at the border, we love visitors and we have a whole industry established to welcome folks. Just be prepared - when you hear yourself described as a tortoise people aren't really calling you a turtle, it's just the local dialect pronunciation of the word tourist.

All joking aside, when you cross the border I highly recommend you include a couple of nights in St. Andrews (abbreviation allowed in this case). Stay at the Kiwanis Ocean Front Campground. It is so scenic and although not technically ocean front, there is a local street between the campground and the water, you can have a unrestricted view of the very pretty Passamaquoddy Bay.

The campground is within walking distance of restaurants serving fresh seafood. The downtown is very unique with some buildings dating back to the late 1700's.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Safe travels.
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD

FC
Explorer
Explorer
They just opened a new Customs crossing a few years back. Its a little up river from Calais \St Stephen but its a much larger facility.
JM2CW
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a few years since we crossed the border at Calais ME.
It was no problem, I was asked two questions, why we were visiting and how long are we staying. It was quick and easy.
Returning to the USA at the same location was also simple.
My only complaint was the fairly long wait in line which I assume is normal.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
It Saint John not St. John's o/w you'd be in Newfoundland. Lol
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!