Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crossing Lukeville/Sonoyta Information

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greetings travelers,

There is a cleaning up of the local cops in Sonoyta. Just like Ajo it is a speed trap and must be driven through very slowly. If you are pulled over for any reason, here is a list of things that may help you. NEVER pay the officer to "take care of it" for you, it just perpetuates the issue.

Coming down to Rocky Point? I just got this from the mayors office in Sonoyta....It's good information and you may need to use it so print it out or save it to your phone.

Dear traveler, when crossing the border of Sonoyta, Sonora if you suffer any abuse by any police authority ,make sure to file a Complaint. The Mayorโ€™s office is here to help with any problem you may have , make sure to contact us to: 651-512-1172 or 651-100-9530 or email contraloriasocialsonoyta@hotmail.com,
We are available 24 /7, every day of the week.

Suggestions:
-Respect Speed limits.
-Use Seatbelt.
-Report any attempt of abuse from any authority.
-Request Identification of the authorities that acts in any unprofessional manner.
-If youโ€™re asked by any police men for any money make sure to request to be taken to the Police Station to file a complaint.
-If given a ticket and its paid the same day it automatically gets 50% discount.
-Request Speak with Qualifying Judge.
If you have any questions contact us at:
651-512-1172 or 651-101-7145 or email contraloriasocialsonoyta@hotmail.com

This is to inform you. This is not to scare you. I have fought a few tickets in my 10 years in Mexico and they are always dismissed, do not make yourself a victim, do not pay bribes.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora
7 REPLIES 7

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Now why would anyone want to speed through Ajo? It is so pretty and there are so many wonderful and unique Houses that You pass driving along the tree lined boulevards!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

AZ_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
msgtord wrote:
Ajo is not a speed trap. SR 85 goes through the middle of town and the local residents do not appreciate your total disregard for the safety of others.

I agree! Not that Russ is wrong, he posted some very valuable information. As anyone that has driven through Ajo knows that State Route 85 goes through not just a part of town but right through a residential area of Ajo. Very poor planning but that was very long ago and who know Rocky Point would ever be larger then Ajo. The Pima County Sheriffs Department and Arizona Department of Public Safety are all Ajo has, unlike Sonoyta which has their own corrupt local PD. In either case Russ has outlined what needs to be done when jacked up by Sonoyta's finest. As for Ajo, Don't speed through or you will get a ticket, and you will NOT have the luxury of paying cash to the officer and continue on your way.
1994 Newmar Kountry Star 38' diesel pusher w\cummins 250hp w\fuel pump mods to get up the hills.
2006 20' Haulmark Enclosed Trailer
1994 EZ-HO golf cart
2006 Jeep Wrangler

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
I have not had a problem in either place except when I was speeding. I always see the Sheriff and/or State Police near Ajo and Why. When I passed through the border southbound recently the Mexicans had inspected a pickup truck and had a pile of packaged meat stacked up on the tailgate, I assumed it was being confiscated. Had to be $200+ of meat, so beware if you plan to take any. It is not permitted.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
For those who use Lukeville here is something I gleaned from our local newsletter:"However, there's a new Aduana/Customs station just east of Caborca. They are quite aggressive about checking vehicles for anything imported."

Moisheh

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had a problem with either Ajo AZ or Sonoyta SON. Drive the speed limit!!!
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
2017 Open Range Roamer 316RLS
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
So sorry, as a former resident of Ajo I can tell you....it is a speed trap. I lived there for years and got the story, but nice try.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
Ajo is not a speed trap. SR 85 goes through the middle of town and the local residents do not appreciate your total disregard for the safety of others.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.