Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crossing With Dog

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning!

Does someone have information on required documents for crossing with your dog?

Also, I'll be caravaning with a friend who has 3 small dogs. Is there a limit she can bring in?

Thanks.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4
11 REPLIES 11

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
We just crossed at Laredo, Columbia Bridge- They glanced briefly at the vet health certificate and waved us on.- Two dogs, one cat.

Barbilou_and_Fu
Explorer
Explorer
I've been asked twice at Nogales, once going and once coming.
Casita (made of straw bales!) in Dos Palmas near Kino Bay

pomsplus
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed at Luckville with absolutely no problems. Have never been asked in 18 years. Good luck but have papers for peace of mind
O

kca87
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed this week for the Baja through Tecate. Our fourth time and we've never been asked for documentation on our pets. We stopped going to the trouble and expense of the certificate - we make sure their shots are current and I have their records handy - but we've yet to be asked crossing either in to Mexico or coming back into the US through Tecate or San Ysidro into San Diego.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Main thing is do not cross at Lukeville. That is the only crossing I have ever heard of people getting asked.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Make doggy passport where you have all documents for the pet, Vets information in the U.S. rabbis and all other vaccines + a photo of the dog, I recomend that you chip the pet, should he be lost or stollen, at least yopu will be able to establish ownership, also have at least four copies of all documents should some one want to keep the info, that way you present the orginal and hand them the copy, you keep the original.

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I should add that 3 dogs are OK. 4 will cost you about $1800.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
chris3403 wrote:
First off you need to state where you are crossing at. If Canada a current up to date shot record will suffice. We had our dog right there on the front seat with us and they never asked us anything about her. I would assume the number wouldn't matter.

That is actually incorrect, you require a certificate of health with the vets license number & contact info on it, preferably less than 10 days old. Chances are you will not be asked for it unless you plan on crossing at Lukeville where you may.

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
You will need a health certificate and current (I believe within 6 months) rabies vaccination. I would also recommend current DHLPP vaccination. You may not be asked for any papers coming or going, but remember Murphy's Law.
Gail Todd DVM

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about that, I see you posted the topic in Mexico and South America
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
First off you need to state where you are crossing at. If Canada a current up to date shot record will suffice. We had our dog right there on the front seat with us and they never asked us anything about her. I would assume the number wouldn't matter.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.