cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custer SD to Fort Worth TX by car and Return by Motorhome

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
We are driving our Honda CRV toad from Custer SD (near Mt Rushmore) to Cleburne TX (near Fort Worth) tomorrow to pick up a Phoenix Cruiser 30'-er from PPL consignments and return to Custer towing. We are downsizing from a 42 ft DP. Although route looks pretty straightforward, any pitfalls along the way? I see there are some toll roads but cannot determine the cost.

Thanks

Hank
Just-sold 2005 Mandalay DP
Soon-to-buy 2017 Phoenix Cruiser 2910D
2012 Honda CRV Toad
4 REPLIES 4

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
A suggestion for your consideration:

Turn off I-70 onto US 83 -- follow all the way to Childress, TX to pick up US 287 which will take you through Fort Worth to go on to Cleburne. I am not familiar with the northen portion of this route, but it avoids OK City and toll roads, and I am very familiar with US 287.

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Toll on the Kansas Turnpike from the OK-KS state line to Wichita towing a double axle fifth wheel in August was $4.20. Fortunately my TXTag (Tex-tag) was good in the express lanes.

We mimicked your return trip since we were going to Custer from the Houston area. I-35 to Wichita, I-135 to Salina, I-70 to Hays, KS, US-183 north to I-80, NB-71 to Scottsbluff area, US-26 to Lingle, WY, US-18 into SD & the Black Hills area.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
Great - Thanks for info. Wanted to ue that route so feel better now.

Hank

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I believe the only toll road you will see will be the short stretch of I-35 from Wichita, KS to Oklahoma. Don't know that toll but shouldn't be too much. Kansas toll road site should have a toll calculator.
From Wichita to Cleburne you should have no problem. Just watch your signs carefully thru middle of OKC to be in the correct lanes. Middle of Ft Worth is more of a straight shot.
Can't speak for north of Wichita.