cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Destination: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
Last year's RV Road Trip was to & from southern Maine to Niagra Falls and back. A great first Class A RV road trip . Wonderful experience and lessons learned.

For 2016, our destination is Cape Bretton, Nova Scotia. Pretty much the same distance in the other direction. Research is in progress.

What do I need to know?

Any recommendations for RV campgrounds?

Any & all recommendations, guidance & advice is welcome.
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired
10 REPLIES 10

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
icanon wrote:
Big_Blue wrote:
Reservations have been made at the North Sydney KOA. .

May I ask what are your dates you will be at North Sydney?

Arriving Friday, September 2, leaving Saturday September 10.
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Headed for the Arm of Gold CG, North Sydney. No reservations but we are very late May & stopping for a few days to stock up & do an oil change before getting on the ferry to NL for a month.

We did the Cabot some years ago in the fall. The colours were quite the sight then.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Big_Blue wrote:
Reservations have been made at the North Sydney KOA. .

May I ask what are your dates you will be at North Sydney?
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
Reservations have been made at the North Sydney KOA. A wee bit pricy but perhaps there may be a favorable exchange rate in effect at the time of the transaction.

We are psyched about this trip. There will 8 days on the ground for the Cabot Trail, Whale watching, the Marconi Site, et al. On the way up, we will visit the top of the Bay of Fundy - Hopewell Rocks. Not a PGA fan, but if there is an event to be experienced, it is certainly worth considering.

And there will always be the moments, the afternoon and evenings of simple relaxation. Beyond the end of America's road lies Canada.
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
One of the places we liked is linked below - near a couple of the attractions you will want to see and we had a nice quiet place by a stream. A very short walk and there is a beautiful bay on the Ocean which was filled with sailing ships from nearby places (my wife almost bought a house there - lol)

RayPort

It was a few years ago, one thing I was amazed at was how poor cell phone coverage was even on the major highways and while of course wireless sucks at many campgrounds it seemed worse in N.S. - hopefully that has improved.

We went around the Cabot Trail without the trailer, but I don't think it would have been all that much of a hassle.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Well, no matter what some have said about some Cabot Trail roads, scads of people do it every year. & to my mind, I'd rather be outside the park than in, but you see had I a lot of trips through and stays in Gros Morne National Park before all that. But you have to take the ferry to Newfoundland for Gros Morne.

Meat Cove.

Fortress Louisbourg.

Music Fesitvals, esp. one called Stan Rogers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Nl3PaTimA

Ramble

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a professional golf fan...the PGA Tour of Canada is at the Bell Bay Golf course in Baddeck,NS 29 Aug to 04 Sep for the Cape Breton Open.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did the Cabot Trail in an anticlockwise fashion a few years ago, without trailer. The eastern portion of it is no place for a large trailer or truck barely up to ratings for the job.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
We did a similar trip last year. We stayed at Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground when we toured the Cabot Trail. Very nice campground that is conveniently located for touring the area.
In Nova Scotia we stayed at Woodhaven Park Campground. We used it as our base for touring Halifax, Peggy's Cove & Lunenburg.
We loved the east coast. Very friendly people and great food.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be in Cape Breton this summer. I'll be staying at North Sydney KOA CG near New Harris. It's will be my first time there so I don't know what it would be like although I read lots of good reviews. I would reserve asap as there are not many CG's.
That said I have been told that try to avoid the western part of Cape Breton when hauling a TT the roads are very hilly and narrow, maybe others can comment on this?
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!