cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detroit freeway?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Which would be better the Edsel Ford house in Grosse Pointe from Harbortown RV resort: I75 or I75 to 275 to I 94? We also wonder about coming in from the north from Holiday Shores in Lennon instead, even though it is longer. The RV will be parked, but we are looking for the least stressful route! Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MI Drive Construction Map

Zoom in on the area you are interested in and it will show you the construction zones.

There will be some shoulder/single lane closures on I-75 north and south bound from 10 Mile Road all the way until past Pontiac this summer. They are not all posted yet.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
With the current tear-up of I-75, you would best stay at or north of I-94. Holiday Shores is well north. You can consider Camp Deaborn in Milford, Wayne County Fairground in Belleville, or Detroit (something used to be a KOA) in Rawonville.

Consider the last two seriously. Edsel & Eleanor Ford is a short day tour. The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village are a whole day each and should not be missed if you are in striking range.

Concur on Henry Ford and Greenfield Village.

Camp Dearborn is nice, but you have to leave very early, before 6:00AM, to not get caught in rush hour. Still rush hour traffic is MUCH better than LA or Atlanta. Best bet is to have dinner "in town" and not hit the freeways until after 7:00PM.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
You can take I75 north no problem. Going back south just head over to Telegraph Road and head south and get back on I75 S. In Taylor.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
With the current tear-up of I-75, you would best stay at or north of I-94. Holiday Shores is well north. You can consider Camp Deaborn in Milford, Wayne County Fairground in Belleville, or Detroit (something used to be a KOA) in Rawonville.

Consider the last two seriously. Edsel & Eleanor Ford is a short day tour. The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village are a whole day each and should not be missed if you are in striking range.

Also, you are coming in from the west. Look up Kalamazoo Air Zoo and the Gilmore Museum. The Air Zoo is a short day, but Gilmore can kill a solid day. There is usually E-only available (used to be 20$). We don't stay there, it is in "we might as well go home" range for us.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Wayne County more than Detroit Greenfield?

Yes

And I wouldn't hesitate driving to any of those locations from there. But you have to be realistic. If its rush hour on a weekday there will be traffic no matter which way you go...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne County more than Detroit Greenfield? Have you seen both? Holiday Shores out of Durand would be farther... Is it worth the drive to Grosse Pointe from there over either Wayne County or Detroit Greenfield?

We have several places to visit in the area: the Henry Ford & Greenfield Village; Fair Lane Estates (if open); the Edsel Ford home; Meadow Brook Hall & Troy museum & historical village. Thanks for your feedback!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I-75 Southbound is closed for 3 miles at the Rouge River Bridge between downtown Detroit and Harbortown so your return you will need to take I94 to I275 to I75.

But if I were coming to the Detroit area to visit, I would consider staying at the Wayne County Fairgrounds CG in Belleville. Here. From there only I94 would be used.

Consider also on visiting The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn during your stay.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad