cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

East glacier at Highway 49 to Two Medicines CG

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
We have a 36 foot 5th wheel. We’re going to Glacier National Park September 9th to September 13. We will be coming from the town of West Glacier after visiting some friends.

During this time. I understand St. Mary’s Campground is first come first serve. We would also like to go to Two Medicines Campground for day or two. Which I understand will require reservations four days in advance. But if I remember correctly coming from East glacier on Highway 49 there is a low railroad underpass that our 5th wheel which is 13’ 6” will not be able to get under. Am I correct? Is there any way around this low underpass?

Thus, we will have to go to Browning and then come back on Highway 89 to connect to Highway 49 and come in to Two Medicines from the north. If I remember correctly the road from Highway 89 to Highway 49 is somewhat twisting but doable (?) With our 5th wheel. Am I correct?
All suggestions are welcome
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
2 REPLIES 2

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are right TenOC, when you leave St Mary's, you will have to head down towards Browning, but you hit 49 about 12 mi. before Browning, and as you said it is very winding, and watch out for rock slides.
The under pass at E. Glacier has a sign for 12'-8", we are lucky to only be at 11-4 with our class C.
I know when we were at Two Medicine in 2015 it was first come first serve, I didn't know they had gone to reservations. We arrived at 7 AM and found a site we liked, and the people were packing up getting ready to leave, so we waited for them to pull out while we were pulling in, then went and checked in.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
464, Duck Lake Rd is the easy, straight and flat route from Browning to Babb and St Mary.

Years ago I stayed at the St Mary KOA in Sept without reservations.

I haven't driven it, but 49 between E Glacier and 89 appears to have zig-zaggy ridge crossing at the north end.

Yes, 89 is twisty enough to be tiring at the end of day even in a car. According to the state dot, they are finishing up widening and straightening some of this. It is the main road from the east into the park.

Google street view, the underpass on 49 right off of 2 is signed at 13', (12'8" in a newer photo)