cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Essential equipment to bring to MX?

iowabob4
Explorer
Explorer
Tools, spare tire, GPS, CB, water purification, spare parts, etc etc.

Has this topic been addressed before here, and if so, could someone point me in the right direction?
If not, What should one bring when RVing in MX, and what shouldn't you bring (stuff that you can get there)?
Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

iowabob4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for your input, even the mayonaise as I gave up on trying to make it, now I know what I was doing wrong!:)
Should be quite the adventure, Thanks again!

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Stab wrote:
I never thought I'd be asking this question on RV.Net:

What oil are you using for the mayo-mix? Olive oil ok?

Sounds like a simple recipe.

I tried olive oil twice - once with EVOO and once with regular OO...they were both, in my opinion, awful!

I use canola oil.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
By the time I buy decent oil and eggs (at one time 75 pesos for 30) jar mayonnaise was cheaper. My mayo turns out like melted butter. The Best Foods always seems to taste best.

Stab
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought I'd be asking this question on RV.Net:

What oil are you using for the mayo-mix? Olive oil ok?

Sounds like a simple recipe.

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
slowlyiturn wrote:
On the mayo subject, we fell in love with the lime mayo and luckily have found a store in nearby New York state that carries the exact brand as in Mexico. Can't wait to get back to the south.

I hope to go to Baja this winter for several months and I do love my mayo...so I bought this little guy to put in my little trailer...it can run off my Honda eu1000i generator. Whips up a batch of delicious mayo in about 5 minutes or less.

Cuisinart DLC-2A Mini Prep Plus 3-Cup 250-Watt Food Processor

Homemade mayo is REALLY easy, honest! A whole egg, a little mustard of your choice, salt, pepper, hot sauce, lemon OR lime juice (your choice), and a cup of oil. The secret (and it's an important one) is to just SLOWLY D R I Z Z L E the oil into the other ingredients that have been whirred around without the oil for maybe 30 seconds or so. With this little food processor, you have to pulse somewhat so as not to overtax the relatively powerful motor. At the beginning, I can't overemphasize SLOWLY drizzle.

I have made two batches since I got this little Cuisinart and they were both successful (one was using powdered whole eggs, as an experiment). I have never had a failure using my big food processor.

My brother uses a stick blender and his success rate is about 60%.

It's hard to go back to jarred mayo once you've tried homemade. I switch between lemon and lime juice, fresh and bottled.

As Mikey says, "Try it. You'll like it." ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
We take Oil, fuel & oil filters, a spare old fan belt and two spare tires (one mounted & one unmounted). That is it, anymore and they can ship it to us if something fails. Everything else we adjust and enjoy local brands & products. We don't worry but instead ENJOY!

Smile be Happy, rocmoc
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

slowlyiturn
Explorer
Explorer
On the mayo subject, we fell in love with the lime mayo and luckily have found a store in nearby New York state that carries the exact brand as in Mexico. Can't wait to get back to the south.
2 retired canadians

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
The first year we went to La Penita, 2005, I wanted pumpkin pie for US thanksgiving, but there was none to be found, even in the Walmart/Sams Club in PV. We took down 4 large cans the next year, and when we walked into one of the local supermarcados, there was a piramid of pumpkin pie mix. Wife doesn't like lime in her mayonase, but we were able to find some last year again in the local stores. We will bring down the freezer full of Tillamook butter this year though, as she prefers it over even the New Zeeland. The only thing that she still can't find is NOB style Heinz katsup. After spending 30 years in the Coast Guard, 14 of them on large cutters, I eat just about anything, so my food requirement isn't to specialized, just give me a bottle of Chulula or Black Label Valintinas.
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
2017 Open Range Roamer 316RLS
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sit at the dinette and ask yourself, "What would really screw up my trip?" Yeah yeah a blown motor or transmission. But anyone leaving home with the pistons changing holes, and the transmission almost having 2nd gear is bound to have an adventure. Riding on the fender of a KenMex would also be a bummer, but careful driving takes care of a lot of that possibility.

Way too many people leave home with every nook and cranny stuffed. Most jettison the extras at various RV parks to get better than 5 mpg on the way back. Whatever tool you bring the mechanic is going to need a different one. It is considered novice grade to say "We've been gone three months and only been to the store twice".

Having meaning establishing a "pioneer" attitude to me is crucial. If my diet demanded USDA prime steak, russet potatoes, French cut green beans with mushrooms and truffles, I would be in a lot of hurt down here. This isn't frijoles, chili and tortilla living. Sure, there's stuff you should bring like premium whole bean coffee, black tea, and condiments. You might want to bring some mayo which does not have "Limon" in it. Heinz catsup, A-1 sauce, and hootch of your choice. I like to have an extra USB keyboard as the Mexican ones no hable ingles.

But prowling the stores, discovering Lala brand butter (mantequilla) in the tub is from Uruguay and is superb European butter is delightful. If you use heart healthy almost margarine spread bring all you're going to need. Mexican supplements are wimpy.

Strong opioid analgesics are non-existent down here. An emergency supply of oxycodone from your USA doctor would be a wise idea as would be a 1st class 1st aid kit.

Los mexicanos adoran a los visitantes que estรกn tratando de hablar en espaรฑol.
Mexicans adore visitors who try to speak Spanish. It is an absolutely bonafide way of displaying both friendliness and respect. You do not need to become fluent. But practicing phrases is better than spending evenings hypnotized by the boob tube. ยฟComo esta eusted? ยฟComo le va la famรญlia? are almost keys to the magic kingdom. Formal manners in Spanish are worth 500% of the familar way of using Spanish. I am greeted every day by "ยฟComo estas Don David?" unnecessarily formal and I absolutely love it as do Mexicanos when they are celebrated with formal form of Spanish.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
I bring a new RV water pump (low pressure in parks requires the RV water tank and pump to be used for better pressure).
Replacement circuit board for refrigerator if your refrigerator has an appetite for circuit boards. The Dinosaur brand features heavier construction - they last longer Link: http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Ignitor_boards.htm

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
22.5 tires are available almost anywhere in Mexico. BUT it depends on your tire size. Some MH's use common sizes like 295/80 (same as many truck tires). Others use the 255/80RV tires and these do not exist in Mexico. 15/40 DIESEL oil can be found in some specialty truck parts outlets as well as any HD truck dealership. The 15/40 you encounter in auto parts stores may not be Diesel oil.

Moisheh

bilmo
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't see what kind of RV you have, but if you need an oil change while in Mexico, bring enough oil. Only place I have found 15-40 was in Costco and there aren't too many of those.
BillMoRex&Princess
'06 Chev D/A--'08 Cardinal 35 SB
Fulltiming since 8/93

RonYVickie
Explorer
Explorer
Filling the cupboard isn't my department, but I bring a spare set of brake pads, oil filter(s), and especially important if you have a trailer or 5th wheel is a couple of complete spare springs - oh ! and a couple pair of wheel bearings ! RYV

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
I like your humor. It's refreshing how you tell it like it is.

Wife and I have spent a few years down in La Paz, CBS. Sister in law had a bed and breakfast. It was in a former governers mansion. AWESOME place. Relatives gave it up, came back to US so daughter could graduate from high school in Alaska. They are going back to La Paz next year.

Would like to go back to MX with our 5th wheel some day.

Thanks for all the pointers!