cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Estes Park to Loveland

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m planning a trip from Estes Park Co to the Black Hills SD. I ll be driving a 43 ft class A with Jeep in tow. Can I take US 34? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Mark
14 REPLIES 14

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom, thanks for the info! I ll definitely check out those areas. I have been to Montana and love the area. Glacier NP is high on my bucket list. Unfortunately we donโ€™t have the time this year. FWC Iโ€™m not taking a UTV on this trip. I will be stopping at the Forest service to get maps and find out where it is legal to ride utv s. I donโ€™t ride mine on the streets because it wears my tires. I have soft rubber tires for rock climbing. Thanks for the info.

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Kavoom wrote:

We aren't into the UTV's...yet...I do ogle them I must admit and I actually have considered the Mahindra Roxor even if it sort of crosses over. But, if you want that kind of experience then consider Montana. They are everywhere. I have a great set of trails within a couple of miles of my house and you can drive them on the roads up here. And IF I am not mistaken, if your UTV is considered street legal in one state and licensed, then other states through reciprocity have to allow you to use them on their roads... I've seen a few in National Parks must have been toweds on trailers or something. Not off road though.

Use of an ATV/UTV on public roads is governed state by state. For instance in Colorado the use of ATVs on public roads (regardless of whether it is 'street legal' in your home state) is by default not allowed and there are no 'street legal' ATVs. There are a few limited exceptions in some towns.

As for National Parks, they generally follow the same rules as interstate high ways - if your vehicle is not legal for an interstate (ie all ATVs/UTVs etc) then it cannot be driven on any road in a National Park regardless of state laws. If you saw ATVs in a National Park, they were most likely breaking the law.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
MNawman wrote:
Thanks for the info Kavoom! This is a scouting trip for future trips. We want to gather information on utv trails as well as good campgrounds. We are looking forward to exploring the Black Hills. This may be our last trip to Estes if itโ€™s that bad.

Mark

Just curious. What do you ride?

We aren't into the UTV's...yet...I do ogle them I must admit and I actually have considered the Mahindra Roxor even if it sort of crosses over. But, if you want that kind of experience then consider Montana. They are everywhere. I have a great set of trails within a couple of miles of my house and you can drive them on the roads up here. And IF I am not mistaken, if your UTV is considered street legal in one state and licensed, then other states through reciprocity have to allow you to use them on their roads... I've seen a few in National Parks must have been toweds on trailers or something. Not off road though.

I've done the snowmobile trails in the Black Hills out of Spearfish a few times and am wondering if that trail system is used for UTV's. Oh and if you have time, drive the Spearfish Canyon road. It is beautiful and stop at the Spearfish Canyon Lodge. You can sit out back by the creek with an adult beverage there also and enjoy... AND, as you go through the Wildlife loop in Custer State Park, you can drive on all the dirt roads that traverse the loop and they end up in all kinds of different places. The back roads in the Black Hills are fun. I am not sure if you can take a UTV on that. Might check. One nice one that either ends up at the Bluebell or starts down by the horse campground. Another is a shortcut to the main road into Rapid City from the South or as you head toward the Badlands.

My TV is a 2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 5.7 Hemi pulling a 27.4 Aspen Trail 2340 bunkhouse. The Ram is set up for some medium duty off roading we do up here in MT. It's been a great truck. We just moved up from a 23 foot bunkhouse that had a turned axle for six inches and have gone many places with that. I am sacrificing a bit of boondocking for the bigger TT but that's OK. Getting older.

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Polaris RZR. We mostly ride in Moab and Silverton. I heard there are good trails in the Black Hills. Iโ€™m not crazy about driving thru Denver. Iโ€™m planning on going around and hopefully on a Sunday.

Mark

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Polaris RZR. We mostly ride in Moab and Silverton. I heard there are good trails in the Black Hills.

Mark

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
If you like that sort of trail/back road riding, then ride the old Trail Ridge Road up to the visitor's center. It is narrow and crooked and dirt but interesting. One way going up so you have to figure and heading back by highway if you are in something like a Polaris. We saw a lot of wild life the last time we were that way a few years back. We were in a Honda Element so it is doable in a street type ride also.

You are definitely NOT allowed to ride a ATVs/UTV/golf cart in the National Parks!

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
34 will come out on 25 north of Denver. The farther from Denver the better. JMHO Have a good trip and be safe. Betsy.
Betsy

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like that sort of trail/back road riding, then ride the old Trail Ridge Road up to the visitor's center. It is narrow and crooked and dirt but interesting. One way going up so you have to figure and heading back by highway if you are in something like a Polaris. We saw a lot of wild life the last time we were that way a few years back. We were in a Honda Element so it is doable in a street type ride also.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dedmiston
MNawman wrote:
Thanks for the info Kavoom! This is a scouting trip for future trips. We want to gather information on utv trails as well as good campgrounds. We are looking forward to exploring the Black Hills. This may be our last trip to Estes if itโ€™s that bad.

Mark

Just curious. What do you ride?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer

Mark

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
MNawman wrote:
Great. Thank you!

Mark

And if you don't know already, get north as fast as you can. Denver has gotten to be horrible... We were going to Estes as long as 35 years ago and have friends (natives) who can no longer afford to live there even though their parents left multiple kids a couple hundred K each after estate settlements. That's bad... We now live in MT and the "last best place" is starting to head down that path itself...

We don't even go to Estes anymore and I hear Rocky Mountain is going to have "reserved" access this year... Amazing. We were going to retire there but now have land in Custer in the Black Hills. Custer is a good place to base out of for the Black Hills.

Big Pine and Fort Welicat are good sites that can take your unit and are NOT parking lots. Good luck getting a reservation. Hit the "purple pie" place and the little restaurant downtown for breakfast... In the park, hit the Game lodge, get an adult beverage and sit on the porch... Best time to hit the wildlife loop is early and late for animals. But anytime is good. Day trips to Badlands easy, Iron Mountain road and needles are a must... Sylvan lake lodge is very nice also for an easy hike around the lake or hard if you want and do dinner at the lodge there and sit outside. Ask for one of the local maps by most every cash register in the Black Hills... Looks like this https://www.blackhillsvacations.com/plan-your-visit/black-hills-maps

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Great. Thank you!

Mark

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
craig7h wrote:
Should not be a problem, good road with turns but not to sharp.

^^^^^ This.

After the 2013 Flood, much of the roadway, especially below Drake, was rebuilt. It was raised in places, and straightened out in places. Very good road surface.

If you have the time, 2 places to check out: The Cherry Pie place just before you enter the Narrows on the eastbound side, has great cherry cider, pies, and jellies; and the Dam Store as you exit the Narrows and canyon, has a great view of a waterfall there and a gift shop.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Should not be a problem, good road with turns but not to sharp.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly