cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GREAT ALASKAN HOLIDAY SPRING ADVENTURE 2014 IOWA/ALASKA

DesertSteve
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone is going on the Great Alaskan Holiday Spring Adventure this year. We just sent in our paperwork and are looking forward to this adventure.
11 REPLIES 11

CarmenandJoey
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked into ABC and am surprised that they charge more than double! It's a good backup plan if we donโ€™t get in with GAH. At least they do seem to have a great reputation as well as GAH. I found another place, Clippership RV, they have pickups in San Francisco which would be great to drive the Pacific Coast Highway. Unfortunately they have a lot of bad reviews, they have a F rating from the better business bureau. So I really donโ€™t want to go with them. We are so excited to go we wish we could do it this year, but we have the time to plan! Have a safe trip and I hope the weather and the roads are great!

RV_RS
Explorer
Explorer
Carmen&Joey,
We are renting from ABC Motor Homes and will be leaving from Elkhart, IN. We are flying into Chicago, taking a bus to South Bend airport where the ABC representative will pick us up. Very similar to the trip last year where we flew to Minneapolis, MN and took a bus to Forest City , IA. This year we will not stay on the grounds, but will actually drive some the first day.
The customer service has been exceptional with ABC.
Hope you're able to make the trip this year.

hr0082
Explorer
Explorer
This year, we are making out 3rd trip in our travel trailer. I certainly understand how difficult it is to plan for all the things you want to have with you. I can't imagine how I would function thinking I would have to get everything in suitcases for a flight home. So, I have a suggestion. Why not take everything you think you might need and then simply ship it home, rather than taking on plane with you.

CarmenandJoey
Explorer
Explorer
RV'RS What company are you using from Indiana! My wife and I are hoping to take the trip through Great Alaskan Holidays but there is a waiting list and not sure if we will make it with them. We are really excited about going and taking the drive up, this will be our first time with a RV. Would love to hear how your trip is!

RV_RS
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Steve,
Last May my husband, brother, and sister-in-law drove 2 motorhomes for GAH from Forest City to Anchorage. My brother drove a 22' and we chose the 31'. The motorhomes were fabulous, no problems with either, and we were diligent in driving with safety foremost in our minds. We did go over gravel roads, frost heaves, etc., but did so within the appropriate speed for the conditions. The result was we turned in 2 motorhomes with no damages. In 17 days we drove over 4K miles. Then took the bus to Whittier and took a 7 day cruise to Vancouver, before flying home to Atlanta.
We have just signed up again to leave on May 27th to drive from Indiana to Alaska with another company. This year we plan to share a 32' with my brother and sister-in-law. We can hardly wait to make the trip again, only this time we are leaving 2 weeks later and hope to go to Dawson City and drive the TOW to Tok. We wish you safe travels.

DesertSteve
Explorer
Explorer
Think we will carry our winter coats on the plane, since they are so big to pack. I'm sure we will turn heads, at the airport, as it will be 90+ degrees here in mid May

Tom_B__T
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Steve,
Thank you for your input. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing happens. The hard part is figuring out what to bring to be comfortable for 18 days but that will fit into a suitcase for the plane ride home.

DesertSteve
Explorer
Explorer
Tom,
From reading previous travelers' trip reports, it seems like there is a good chance for a broken windshield or backing into something. . We have State Farm Insurance, so the motor home is covered. Otherwise I would have gotten their CDW.
Our pickup is May 18 @ 10 am

Tom_B__T
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Steve,
We have made our deposit and received the contract along with the Milepost. Pickup is May 17 at 1130. Deciding on the Collision Damage Waiver option. Do you have any input or is it a no-brainer to pay for their CDW?
Tom

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Met a bunch of people ferrying new rentals to Alaska before. Works all around for averyone. You get a new rig, albeit a pretty basic one. You get enough time to do the trip & some sightseeing. You do it early in the season before the summer rush. You pay your expenses but the rental charges, if any, are minimal.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

kevinbti
Explorer
Explorer
Parton my ignorance but what is this I think you drive rv s to alaska then fly home is that correct? Sounds like a fun trip- Just curious about insurance and how that works