Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help crossing Canada

AllenT1946
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
I'm planning a trip starting mid June across Canada. I will enter B.C. on hwy 97 in Washington, follow that north to 97c to hwy 1. From there I plan on going east all the way to Nova Scotia. Any problems taking hwy 1 with a 42' MH with toad over to Calgary? Any sugestions for routes and must see places along the way? We are in no hurry and want the most scenic routes.
All sugestions welcome.
Allen
23 REPLIES 23

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
How much time are you devoting to this road trip?

The following link will provide a lot of informtion regarding your planned trip.

http://transcanadahighway.com/

A GPS would be a great addition to the cross Canada gear!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

AllenT1946
Explorer
Explorer
Very good info all, I can hardly wait.
Allen

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note on the province of Quebec, it is primarily French speaking. But if you take AutoRoute 20 (also part of the TransCanada hwy) all the way across the province to Rivere du Loup you will not have issues with the language at gas stations and restaurants along that route. By the way I would recommend if you are going thru Montreal during the day, do not take AutoRoute 20, it goes thru downtown and it can be quite busy. I would take the bypass, AutoRoute 30, I believe the tunnel under the St Lawrence river has a toll though. If you are concerned about the language and stopping in Quebec, you could target National Parks, as they are a federal government service, they are required to speak both our official languages.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the province, city, area, etc. in the blank space and read what the experts suggest for their location.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
rwbradley wrote:
As for the province of Ontario, take the TransCanada Highway. The route around Lake Superior and Georgian Bay is very scenic. There are 2 spectacular Provincial Parks worth stopping that are on Lake Superior: Sleeping Giant Provincial Park and Lake Superior Provincial Park. After that I would head East to Algonquin Provincial Park (there are so many bears, wolves and moose you are almost guaranteed a sighting)and then continue East to the Ottawa River and follow it down thru Ottawa and on to Montreal. If you are into museums you can stop in Ottawa. The museums are a little like the Smithsonian but not quite as big.

Agreed, the route around Lake Superior is great. A couple of comments about the provincial parks though. I note that you have a 42 ft RV with a toad, getting into Lake Superior PP will be difficult. We moved up to a 39 ft. 5er and we used to be able to stop at Rabbit Blanket campground in LSPP with a shorter unit, the longer higher unit got scratched up by the trees and the campsites are generally too small to accommodate our unit. We haven't been in the Agawa bay campground for a few years but we found the trees to be a problem there too.

Neys provincial park has some great sites adjacent to the beach on Lake Superior, there is also a hidden gem of a campground in Marathon called Penn Lake park, full services on a lake and a short walk into town. LINK

Pukaskwa National Park just east of Marathon has a few sites for larger RV's and they have some great hiking trails around Superior

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Yes hwy17. I would go off 17 south of Sault Ste Marie and arrange your route to take hwy60 thru the middle of Algonquin though.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

AllenT1946
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Don & RW
when you say Trans Canadian Hwy, I assume you mean 17.
Allen

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
As for the province of Ontario, take the TransCanada Highway. The route around Lake Superior and Georgian Bay is very scenic. There are 2 spectacular Provincial Parks worth stopping that are on Lake Superior: Sleeping Giant Provincial Park and Lake Superior Provincial Park. After that I would head East to Algonquin Provincial Park (there are so many bears, wolves and moose you are almost guaranteed a sighting)and then continue East to the Ottawa River and follow it down thru Ottawa and on to Montreal. If you are into museums you can stop in Ottawa. The museums are a little like the Smithsonian but not quite as big.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to visit the wineries up there. Lots of them around the lake. The corssing is a mixed bag. One of my worst experiences, they did a full search of the RV. After a long days drive it was really exsparating. Locals told me a lot of drugs try crossing this border crossing, so they are on the look out.