cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-54 from Wichita KS to Santa Fe (via Clayton NM)

Jenanne
Explorer
Explorer
How is I-54 traveling west from Wichita to Liberal to CLayton NM thenn Santa FE? have a 40 foot RV plus tow...
9 REPLIES 9

Jenanne
Explorer
Explorer
We do plan to do the High Road (but after we park the RV) in the jeep...thanks for the tips! will plan to stop at Rancho de Chimayo too thanks!

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
take the "High Road" to Santa Fe. You will drive very scenic, paved, 2-lane NM-518 and NM-76 through Trampas, Truchas, and Chimayo to 4-lane, controlled access US 285. The High Road goes through the area where "The Milagro Beanfield War" was filmed and those towns have wool-weaving and rug shops that you might like to visit.

Or you could even take this "High Road" route from your base in Santa Fe. It would make a great day trip. One of our favorite places to eat lunch is the Rancho de Chimayo--obviously at Chimayo. One way or the other, don't miss the High Road between Santa Fe and Taos.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Are you interested in seeing anything along the way or just getting there quickly?

If scenic, take US 412 to Springer, NM-58 to Cimarron, then US 64 to Taos. Spend a few days in the Taos area (we stayed at Taos Valley RV Park), then take the "High Road" to Santa Fe. You will drive very scenic, paved, 2-lane NM-518 and NM-76 through Trampas, Truchas, and Chimayo to 4-lane, controlled access US 285. The High Road goes through the area where "The Milagro Beanfield War" was filmed and those towns have wool-weaving and rug shops that you might like to visit. We just took that route last fall and really enjoyed the drive and the scenery.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Williebago
Explorer
Explorer
Jenanne
We drive that route from Wichita to Santa Fe several times a year and at least once a year with our 35 ft. Class A towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is an easy drive and once you get off US 54 you will get out of most truck traffic. We love looking for antelope in the pasture land of eastern New Mexico. A lot of that particular route is along the old Santa Fe Trail and is designated so by the highway signs. Always fun to think about the months long journey of the covered wagons along that route that we drive in a day. Enjoy!
[purple]WILLIEBAGO[/purple]

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

[purple]Go K-State Wildcats[/purple]

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Jenanne wrote:
thanks! our plan was to go KC to Wichita to Meade to Hugoton thru Boise City thru Clayton then Santa Fe... ("highway" 412)..is that doable?
To get to Hugoton and Boise City from Mead, you will need to take US-160 West to US-83 South to KS-51 West to US-56 West to US-412 West. I have driven all the U.S. highways mentioned. They are all mostly good 2 lane. I have not driven KS-51, but most Kansas state highways are pretty good roads.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
yes 412 is doable US54-US412 to Clayton 412 I25 S Santa Fe
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Jenanne
Explorer
Explorer
thanks! our plan was to go KC to Wichita to Meade to Hugoton thru Boise City thru Clayton then Santa Fe... ("highway" 412)..is that doable?

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
If you take I-40 from Tucumcari, it would be better to turn north at Clines Corners on US 285 directly to Santa Fe. We do it all the time.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
US-54 to Liberal, not I-54, is a good, heavily used by trucks in some areas, mostly two lane highway. It does not go to Clayton, NM. It will take you to I-40 at Tucumcari which will take you to I-25 at Albuquerque where you can take I-25 North to Santa Fe. US-412, another mostly two lane, will take you to Clayton from US-54 in Guymon, OK and then to Springer, NM where I-25 will take you south to Santa Fe.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler