cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-75 Detour around Detroit

Dream_Chaser_
Explorer
Explorer
Going from Southern Ontario to Florida and have to use the detour on I-75 around Detroit.

Choice 1 - Cross at Ambassador Bridge, head west towards Livonia and connect with I-275 to I-75 near Newport. Adds about 35 miles.

Choice 2 - Cross at Port Huron, go west to Flint, south on 23 to south of Toledo and connect back with I-75. Adds about 60 miles.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanx
6 REPLIES 6

DianaWd
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove south pulling our 29 foot Prowler and followed the special detour from the bridge in Dave Hunter's book, "Along Interstate-75." His special detour (not the official MDOT one) only took us 5 minutes more and was an easy drive with the trailer.

Incidentally, Mr. Hunter has a companion website for the current edition of his book, where you can download detailed coloured maps of the website.

Several year's ago, "Along I-75" also saved us hours when he posted his own special detour to get around the famous Tennessee rock slide which closed the interstate for several weeks.

He was aware of a paved logging road which paralleled I-75 all the way north to the Kentucky border - only the locals seemed to know about it.

Very little construction for the rest of the drive except for a few sections in Ohio. Most of the signed construction sites appear to be nighttime lane closures but all is open during the day.

Diana.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We have family in Port Stanley, London and Ottowa. I would suggest the I-94 to I-275 route, it is only about an 8mi (10k) diversion from the bridge and I-75.

We have just the worst times both passcar and RV at the Bridge. The only thing that route has going for it is the better duty free shop.

The entry (re-entry for us) at Port Huron has always been smoother.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
See the map below for current conditions:

https://mdotnetpublic.state.mi.us/drive/

That said, I-94 to I-275 adds very little distance.
Alternatively, I-94 to US-24 (Telegraph) works well also and won't add much time.

I-96 doesn't provide much benefit regardless of if you go south on I-275 or US-23. Only reason to consider it is if I-94 is heavily congested.

You could head down I-75 and then jump off at Fort if you really want to cut distance (but not time) but even with the timings we installed, I wouldn't suggest it for an RV just trying to transit the area.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

WolverineState
Explorer
Explorer
Get on I94 at either crossing and head to 275. Avoid rush hour at all costs. 🙂

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Ambassador bridge to 75 S / I96 W, I96 W to I275 S, I275 S TO I75 S.

OR

Ambassador bridge to 75 S / I94 W, I94 W to I275 S, I275 S TO I75 S.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was on 23 around the toledo and mich area worse road I ever traveled.