cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I40 south

Cumminalong
Explorer
Explorer
Is I40 south from Knoxville Tn to Waynesville NC doable with a 35' 5ver ,what is the tunnel east bound like for clearance?
5 REPLIES 5

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Cummin,

As a Canadian, you might not know that all the US Interstate highways have to have a vertical clearance for 14' (4.3m). There almost RVs that are taller.

Do read and pay attention to the other advice given here.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I know Ontario is fairly flat so bear in mind that you are in the mountains. Heading eastbound you are going UP hill mostly with a few downhill portions but just use your trans lower gears and engine to keep a safe speed. No need to ride your brakes... just don't ride your brakes. I tow my 37 ft. TT through there at times with no issues. Waynesville and Maggie Valley is beautiful too.

Whatever you do don't get any idea to go over the mountain through Newfound Gap in the National park. Get to your destination and then go see it in the truck if you want to. That road (441) is not meant for towing so don't even think you can get away with it.

I am going the other direction in the morning from Durham. I have made that trip several times with a 40ft DP towing a car with no problems. Just pay attention going down Black Mountain.

Cumminalong
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ,gives me a little more piece of mind

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can do it just fine. Tunnel clearance is fine too. It is not hair raising as far as the curves and hills are concerned. I usually fall in behind the trucks and just go with them. Keep a good following distance between you and all will be fine. It's a beautiful drive in the Fall.