cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I90 Chicago to Seattle

VagabondRetiree
Explorer
Explorer
We originally were going to go through Alberta to get to Vancouver in mid October. Now I think I'm going to stay a little bit south and go through Seattle. Any thoughts about the elevations this way would be appreciated. We have a 32' class C and it will be our first trip west. I drove similar size in the Spring on Vancouver Island so I have a little experience.
4 REPLIES 4

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
A 2X for "Tom/Barb's" suggestion: a nice alternative to the mess that driving up I-5 that the Puget Sound has become. The downside to travelling up 97 and the east side of the Cascades right now is forest/wild fires due to an extremely hot, dry summer. Big fires and lots of smoke.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Going over the Rockies will be little climb but nothing you can't handle. You'll be passing a lot of 18 wheeler. The pass over the Cascades isn't anything either but there is some construction going on and it looks like it will continue for awhile although they are ahead of schedule. Happy travels

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
VagabondRetirees wrote:
We originally were going to go through Alberta to get to Vancouver in mid October. Now I think I'm going to stay a little bit south and go through Seattle. Any thoughts about the elevations this way would be appreciated. We have a 32' class C and it will be our first trip west. I drove similar size in the Spring on Vancouver Island so I have a little experience.

I'd leave I-90 at Spokane, take #2 to Wilber then north thru Grand Coolie and on to catch 97 then north to cross into Canada

Much easier boarder crossing than the up tight folks at Sumas or the Arch and the traffic mess thru Seattle/405/ and 5 north.

OR

I-90 to 97 north to #2 or 20 and catch I-5 north of the Seattle mess.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Ultralife
Explorer
Explorer
I-90 should not be a problem. As you approach Seattle use I405 North. Try to avoid the Boise and Seattle areas at weekday commute times.

Head West young man and enjoy your trip.
Where you are is where your at!

2002 Beaver Monterey 38' DP 330HP Cat
2002 New Beetle "Silver Bullet" Turbo Sport (Manual 5-speed)
Blue OX tow bar and base plate

Who says AZ summers are hot???

Don and Pat