cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Quartzsite, thinking of Montanna.. don’t like mountains..

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Going up California might be fun, but then, are the routes through the mountains fairly flat?

Otherwise, it looks like I go back east to New Mexico and turn north towards Denver.

Q: What are the flat routes?
23 REPLIES 23

dedmiston
I think this thread has run its course.

I wish some of the comments had been more constructive and wish we'd shown our future eastern visitor better hospitality. Hopefully his visit in person will give us a chance to be more warm and welcoming.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
people on the east coast don't know what mountains are until the get to the left coast.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input.
It’s very much appreciated.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't like mountains, the West is not for you.
Nevada alone has 276 mountain ranges.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like few people remember East Montana is Spanglish for flat and grassy.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yellowstone is a mountain - the lake is about 7000 ft altitude.

The eastern half is flat(ish), so I suppose you could keep mountains off in the distance if you come up US25 (from the 5000 ft Denver area).

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
"395 has plenty of grades like Conway Summit, and the long one from Mammoth to Bishop"

They aren't that bad, ppine, and its scenic.

I was there on Friday. Definitely not flat. Why do people have trouble with mountains? Fear? Mostly they don't understand how to use gears and pay attention to their tach, and be easy on their machines. Those people have trouble with the long grade between Bishop and Mammoth.

Nearly all mountains are scenic. Hell that's why I like driving in them so much.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't like mountains, why would you think of Montana?
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
groundhogy wrote:
Going up California might be fun, but then, are the routes through the mountains fairly flat?

Otherwise, it looks like I go back east to New Mexico and turn north towards Denver.

Q: What are the flat routes?

I could be snarky and ask if you know what mountains are, but I won't do that. Instead, I will mention that it is tough to go from 875 feet elevation to 3120 feet elevation (of, say, Billings, MT) without going up.

But, yes, the closest to flat you are going to get is east of Quartzite, not west. And while it is a long way out of the way, the flatest route is probably east to Oklahoma City, then north to Fargo, ND, before heading back west. That will make the rise in elevation as gradual as possible. More reasonably, east through Albuquerque, then north through Denver.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"395 has plenty of grades like Conway Summit, and the long one from Mammoth to Bishop"

They aren't that bad, ppine, and its scenic.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dedmiston
Not trying to be a smarty pants, but isn't Montana literally the Spanish word for "mountain"? Are you sure that's where you want to go?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

benbovac
Explorer
Explorer
395 is a great route. Lone Pine is a good stop over.
BenBovAC
2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW
2019 Jayco NothPoint :

😛

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with you regarding 99 and I-5 but 101 likely is not for him.