cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is Towing a 40-Footer Cross-Country too big??

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
Currently running a 2015 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins HO/Aisin and towing a bumper-pull 2007 Sierra 321BHT (quad bunkhouse, 41 feet long from tongue to spare, about 9400# dry). Propride 3P and the truck tows it like a dream. We love the rig, it's paid for, and it has TONS of space for our kids on a rainy day (age 2, 5, and 9).

We're in rural northern Michigan, and to this point, we've only towed into the Upper Peninsula (even more rural than where we live). I have no issues towing the trailer on open roads, I can back it into a campsite, but obviously refueling and stopping for food requires careful planning. We've traveled this route 100 times over the years, so I know exactly where I can fit and where I can't, ahead of time.

The kids are growing and we'd like to see some new sights. We'd like to travel to Ohio to see Hocking Hills, Mammoth Cave in KY, the Smokey Mountains via Ashville NC, out to Maine etc etc.

Problem is that without knowing in advance which fueling stations & restaurants we can easily fit into, going into new territory poses a challenge with this huge trailer.

Our rig measures 63-64ft in total length, and I know that many states have a combined tow+trailer length limit. Michigan is 65ft, but IN, WV, NH, GA, and several others are either 55ft or 60ft.

Looking for thoughts here.......

We've considered parking the current camper (est value $15,000) on a seasonal site, since it makes an awesome "cottage".

Should I:

1) Give up on the thought of towing this beast cross-country and simply Rent a 20-24' camper for our Once or Twice-Annual "long trip" (total rental cost $1000 for 10 days) from a local place that rents current-model-year rigs that all have new tires and warranties.

2) Buy a $5000-6000 camper for these "long trips", knowing that now I'll have 2 units to winterize, keep fresh tires on, and maintain?

3) Sell the current camper and buy a 30-35 foot 5th wheel, which would enable to me get part of the overall rig "length" reduced (truck has 5th wheel Prep but no hitch) and only have 1 unit to deal with.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Pic of current rig attached. [/img]

Thanks!!
2007 Sierra 321 BHT, 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Aisin/HO Cummins
21 REPLIES 21

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think DrewE said it pretty well. Try it first and then consider options if it doesn't work out.

Fuel stops are easy since you have a diesel and can use the truck lanes at Pilot and such. If it was a gasser where you had to go in with the cars that could be a challenge. With smart phones today, it's easy to find the trucker type stations well in advance, plus just stop when you get little under 1/2 tank giving plenty of room to find a suitable station. That should still be 200+ miles between fill ups which you should be stopping that often anyhow for potty and leg stretchers.

For eating, use the camper more instead of McDonalds while traveling. Save the eating out for when you are at the destination without the trailer in tow. Takes about the same amount of time to stop, pop out the grill for some hotdogs and by the time you eat the grill will be cool enough to put back up. Alternative is to get the food at the truck stop. They all have some sort of food today to get a decent fast meal.

You biggest problem will be the campgrounds, but if you are willing to stay in commercial campgrounds or check the state/federal ones before you arrive, can eliminate the problems ahead of time.

By the way, I traveled with an F350 Crew Cab Long bed which was a gasser, 24' long pulling a 30' TT making our total length connected 55'. After 30k miles of driving the rig around the country, I only had to have my wife get out once to hold up traffic for me to maneuver in a gas station. My next rig was an 04 Ram Quad long bed with a 35' FW which shortened me to 51' but handled so much nicer. Never had a problem with maneuvering it after about 40k miles. So I don't think a 62' rig will be much of a problem if you are skilled at pulling it.

In regards to the states limits, I wouldn't worry about it since I've never seen an RV pulled over and being measured. However, I have heard of it in Canada.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 41 foot, 19,000 pound toy hauler. We're based in AZ and have towed all over the country with ease. We especially love Michigan and the U.P. Soo-Locks is a favorite of ours.

It's really no big deal the length of your trailer. My wife spends as much time behind the wheel as I do. One I thing I did to simplify life was add a 91 gallon fuel tank to my truck bed. We can go a couple of days between fuel stops with 137 gallons on board. When I do need fuel I wait until camp is set up and then I go fill up. It's really nice not having the trailer at the gas station and I can also shop around for cheaper fuel.

One thing I enjoy about our 5th wheel is excellent stability when the wind picks up. We've been in some serious cross-winds without worries.

As far as your overall length, I have a friend that drives a custom 18 wheeler that is over length and nobody ever bothers him about it. I'd say you're safe, too. Since we are non-commercial vehicles, the authorities ignore us.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
I would do the 5th wheel if you don't need the flexibility a travel trailer gives you (e.g. you can go off road easier and/or use the bed of the truck).

A 40' travel trailer is really long so you definitely get a more comfortable tow experience with a 5th wheel. I've got a 35' 5th wheel (oem says 35 but actual length is about 37 with the spare tire) and my overall length is about 52'. If you want a bunk house model, it's really hard to find a 5th wheel shorter than 33'-35' but you're used to long anyway.

EDIT: I agree with others though, it isn't a big deal if you're used to it. Try a trip and see what you think.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it were me, I think I would stick to what I have rather than spending a considerable sum of money to rent or buy something else.

If nothing else, surely you could make a trial run experiment with your current trailer on a longer trip and see how things go. If it proves to be a reasonable way to travel, then you have your answer. If, on the other hand, you find it's a nuisance or worse, you can then consider some of these other options. My hunch is that it'll work out just fine.

Jettix2
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
Hi, I'm in petoskey. Why leave God's country? Travel with what you are comfortable with

We admit that we live in God's country, but the kids want to see the Smokey Mountains, Gettysburg, Glacier Natl, etc etc etc. For a week a year, we'd like to take a trip and see some of the rest of the country, and I'm just not sure pulling the 40-footer is the way to go.
2007 Sierra 321 BHT, 2015 Ram 3500 SRW Aisin/HO Cummins

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm in petoskey. Why leave God's country? Travel with what you are comfortable with

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Flying J's and truck stops abound throughout the country. If a tractor trailer can get in them so can you.
As for states with limits just stay on the interstate or drop the trailer for site seeing; but there is no one going to measure you for 3-4 feet.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind