cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jackson, WY to Brookings, OR

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking for a change in route from Jackson, WY to southern OR in May. We've done the Bend/Sisters route and area and the Medford route 199 route (won't do that again!) We would have liked to have visited the Crater Lake area, but we're thinking May might be iffy with late winter-type weather.
Thoughts on 20 to 395 to 97 to 138 to 42 to Bandon and then down 101? I know that this route takes us close to Crater Lake. How are those major roads, though?
Thoughts on where to stay? What to see? Again, the last couple of weeks of May.
We're a 38' Class A with a toad.
Don and Eileen
5 REPLIES 5

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I went through some of that 2 years ago. Between Riley and Valley Falls there's a lot of nothing on 395 but the road was ok. We left 395 at Lakeview and took 140 over to Klamath falls then up to Crater Lake and yes the first week of June the rim drive was closed. From there we headed to Bandon taking 62 to 227 to I-5 to 42 into Bandon. I didn't feel any of the roads were bad but some were slow. But hey we were on vacation. Pictured is what we were driving.

wguss
Explorer
Explorer
We did that trip last May. We really enjoy the 12 through the Bitterroots and along the Lochsa River. We started on the 22 out of Jackson and over the Teton Pass. I personally wouldn't go that way again in my class A. It is very steep and I had to gear way down on a two-way road. If I were to leave from Jackson again, I would go south on the 89 to Alpine and then on the 26 to the I-15, north to the I-90 west across Montana to the 12 south and then through Lolo, Montana. I guess it depends on how quickly you need to get to your next destination because we usually then stop at the Powell campground that is right on the 12 and the Lochsa River. The next morning we then cruise along the flat winding route through the Bitterroots along the Lochsa with very little traffic all the way to I-84 and the Columbia River along the Oregon, Washington borders. We usually overnight at Mary Hill campground which is at the intersection of I-84 and the 97. We then take the 97 the next day south to Redmond, Or., to visit friends which would also take you south to Crater Lake or you could stay on the 84 all the way to the coast.

I know it sounds convoluted on paper, but it's a beautiful route if you have the time and it has served us well more than I can count over the years.

You can also leave out of the north or west entrance of Yellowstone and still make the Powell campground in a day.

Bill

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
The North entrance into Crater Lake will likely still be closed for sure, the Rim Road will be for sure. The South entrance will be only open to the lodge, maybe to the junction of the Rim Road depending on snow level but I wouldn't count on it and is about a 3-4 mile climb at 6% that consist of a bunch of 15-25 mile corners so watch the weather

42 is okay road but lots of curves and small grades. I would take 199, just has the one ugly section for 15 miles of so.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
138 from 97 is a long straight climb to the Diamond Lake area. That will be open, but the road south to Crater Lake probably will still be snow bound. 138 continues down the west side, with a number of nice waterfalls, and since it follows a river some curves.

42 to Bandon is one of the lower passes to the coast.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, May at Crater Lake can be iffy but if the weather isn't "iffy" the lack of crowds will make it worth the stop.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad