cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kings Canyon to Yosemite to Carson City

canoehenge
Explorer
Explorer
I understand Hwy 88 as being the best route east across the Sierras. Any suggestions as to the best routing to get to 88? I also understand it is inadvisable to take 49 from the south to get to Yosemite. How is 49 north from Yosemite? I will be pulling a 32' fifth wheel. Any advice would be appreciated.
Bert
04 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins pulling a 2012 Crusader 5th Wheel
11 REPLIES 11

canoehenge
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it is doable. I have no problem trying that route. Thanks for everyone's input.
Bert

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If coming up 120 from 49 (or points west),don't let the gps send you up Old Priest Grade. Stay on the longer New grade, hwy 120 itself.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can tell you from personal observation that big rigs can handle 120, as long as your tow vehicle is up to the task. For example, here is a video:

Big airstream on Tioga Road

If you are interested in some photos of the Tioga area, just go to our blog and type Tioga into the search bar. Enjoy!

Our blog
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

canoehenge
Explorer
Explorer
Just an observation, but, having checked the 120 route to Mono Lake using Google Earth and RVTrip Wizard there are no larger travel trailers to be seen on this route, only popups or smaller bumper pulls, and then not very many. Using this route would certainly simplify our journey, after all, we are professional retirees with time on our side.
Bert

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of folks use 120 in both directions, with all sorts of RVs. It is really not that bad. Lots of pullouts available. I have towed it probably six or eight times (with a small trailer). Use a lower gear on the way down.

The scenery is stupendous -- if you can spend some time along the way, do it! Unlike Yosemite Valley, the high country along 120 is cool and comfortable in the summer.

And 395 from Lee Vining to Carson City also goes through very beautiful territory.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

canoehenge
Explorer
Explorer
Travel would be in the summer, however, I have seen posts here not recommending 120 over Tioga pass due to tight turns and steep grades, if you are pulling anything over 30'. Hwy 49 between Kings Canyon and Yosemite was also ruled out for the same reasons. I do not care to continue south to Bakersfield and east to get around the Sierras. 4 and 108 were also ruled out, as well. I could not find any posts by anyone actually having pulled larger trailers east across Tioga pass. How hard a pull is it really?
Bert

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
49 crosses the foothills, hence the curves and hills even though it doesn't cross a major pass. So using a flat highway in the valley might be worth your while.

Even if your paper map doesn't show the details, there are online maps (e.g. google) that show terrain - the hills and valleys, even elevations. And zoomed enough show all the curves, and streetviews.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Canoe,
Route 88 is my favorite way across, Highway 50 is fine. Tioga Pass road is direct, but windy and narrow and exposed.

Route 49 is tight and up and down and wearing. It is fine in short stretches. The northern part is a little easier.

Last year I went to Yosemite from near Carson City on Tioga Pass just before the snow, but I came home by going home on 49 to Route 88 which is easier. All routes are scenic, just avoid Route 4 over Ebbetts Pass.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your travels are in the summer take highway 120 across Tioga pass out of Yosemite and that will put you on the east side of the Sierras then US 395 north to the Nevada state capital. In winter you can use California state route 88, US 50 or even IR 80 depending on the weather. State route 88 crosses the Sierras at 8500 feet so most winter storms will be problematic for the duration of the storm. Highway 49 north of Yosemite is very windy and lots of climbing and descending. A great motorcycle road.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

canoehenge
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis, what do you think about 49 from 120 north to 88?

Thanks
Bert

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
California Hwy 88 is doable and a beautiful drive.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad