Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laughlin to Carson City

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
We're in a 40' DP with a toad.

I know we can take the 95 east of the mountains, but looks kinda boring and deserted. Wondering what the drive is like along the 395 north. I'd prefer not to spend my time going up and down mountains. I don't mind a few, but a steady diet of it gets old. Anyone been that route and have some recommdations?

dave
4 REPLIES 4

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with most of the comments so far. If you have the time, and the longer distance is of no concern, then 395 is a much nicer drive.
I second the suggestions for Alabama hills. You can find boondocking sites there as well, if you are willing.
Another climb, other than out of Bishop, is out of Lee Vining. Not a big deal, but long steady climb.
Cheers,
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We just arrived at our home base in Reno Wednesday and hhoked up with 395 West of Barstow.

Always a gorgeous drive on the East side of the Sierra's. Good road with a few climbs but no problems.

Safe travels.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I much prefer the scenery along 395. If you have time, you can take your toad up the the base of Mt. Whitney, and if you're old enough to remember Roy Rogers and Gene Autry, the Alabama Hills (Lone Pine) are the location for all those cowboy movies. There is a state or fed campground up there, too, on the way to Mt. Whitney, big enough for your rig as I recall.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy 395 heading N. The mountains are beautiful and the drive offers good views of Mt.Whitney. Bishop is a very nice town. We have stayed at Highlands RV on N side of town. Lots of gas stations and a large Von's grocery and K-Mart.
Further N you will pass a lot of spectacular scenery including Mammoth Mt, Mono Lake, Twin Lakes. Beware stopping for gas in Brideport as they have a reputation for being highest gas prices and it's well earned. We fill up in Bishop.
The only climb that is worth noting is just N of bishop; It's a long, steady grade but nothing to worry about if you take it easy. We travel it quite often, towing a 33' 5er. It's a well maintained divided highway. There is another climb past Mono Lake but once again it's not difficult if you take it easy.
There is lots to see/do on 395 if you have time but if just driving through the scenery is worth the drive.