cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medical insurance in Canada?

FlGaCpl
Explorer
Explorer
What have you done for medical insurance while traveling in Canada? I am retired military and have Tricare and closing in on Medicare. From what I understand neither are accepted in Canada.
21 REPLIES 21

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Also know that in northern BC or remote areas of Yukon, if you need an emergency ambulance, it is possible that vehicle will be a helicopter.

Fixed wing aircraft are often used to transport emergency cases from a community with an airstrip to a community where appropriate care can be provided.

In an extreme case, a patient may be transported by air from Whitehorse to Vancouver for treatment.

Therefore, "ambulance" charges can be high in some instances.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

orfsotr
Explorer
Explorer
I would call Tri-Care and talk to a rep. In 2012 while traveling to Alaska I developed a severe sore throat and visited a clinic mostly to make sure it was not strep! Anyhow, I had to pay the bill, when I got home I filed with Tricare and they did reemburse me about 40%.

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
We had a motorcycle crash back in 2001 in Manitoba whereas my DW spent 17 days in the hospital 12 of which in ICU. Bill came to just under $11000 total except for the ambulance @$500 each. I rode with DW, but two separate charges. Tri-Care paid all. She suffered six shattered ribs and left collar bone while I escaped with a destroyed right rotator cuff. Freak gust of wind blew us into the woods. I wasn't speeding, but 55mph in a 65zone. Had 10K passenger insurance, but Nat'l General (GMAC) refused to pay it. Spouses rode with no coverage. Never told that while paying the rate for over 12 years.
charles weidman

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't answer your Tri care question exactly but maybe close
http://www.tricare.mil/GettingCare/Traveling.aspx
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037.pdf

When does Medicare cover health care services in a
foreign hospital?
There are three situations when Medicare may pay for certain types of health care services you get in a foreign hospital (a hospital outside the U.S.):
1. Youโ€™re in the U.S. when you have a medical emergency, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your illness or injury.
2. Youโ€™re traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs, and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your illness or injury. Medicare determines what qualifies as โ€œwithout unreasonable delayโ€ on a case-by-case basis.
3. You live in the U.S. and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether itโ€™s an emergency.
Remember, in these situations, Medicare will pay only for the Medicare-covered services you get in a foreign hospital.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Tothill wrote:
I used to work in a doctor's office in BC. We could not bill US insurance companies directly. We would bill the patient and they would get reimbursed by their insurance company.

When we travel in the US we are covered by 1 our Visa card has travel insurance attached to it, 2 our Extended health benefits have travel insurance.

We have never in years of international and North American travel had to use our travel insurance, but we would not leave home without it.

Count yourself lucky. Three years ago, on my way back to BC after a 6 month sojourn, in Lincoln City Oregon, I was hit with a form of seafood poison from fresh oysters eaten in Brookings. A full night spent staggering from the bed to the toilet left me unable to even stand, at 6am. Partner Sharon had to drive RV and toad, in the dark, find hospital..and there I was treated. To the tune of $2,500, for which we pad $800.00 upfront money and the rest was billed to my insurance carrier. Yes, we were fully re-reimbursed for the $800.00.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
I used to work in a doctor's office in BC. We could not bill US insurance companies directly. We would bill the patient and they would get reimbursed by their insurance company.

When we travel in the US we are covered by 1 our Visa card has travel insurance attached to it, 2 our Extended health benefits have travel insurance.

We have never in years of international and North American travel had to use our travel insurance, but we would not leave home without it.