cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nails in Tires from Top of the World

b2egypt
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Tok getting ready for our drive to 'Top of the World' tomorrow. Driving truck camper with 4 wheel drive so we were not worried. However, there is a caravan pulling to campground tonight that drove over top today. Several of the rigs had flats, picking up nails on that route. Has anyone else heard about this problem.

Been in Alaska for 4 weeks, great trip!
Thanks Betsy
Loving Life!
20 REPLIES 20

primetimerver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Joe. I will call as you suggest. We will be in Valdez until 9/15 or 16 so should be in Chicken by the 18th. That is the plan anyway. I'll call while in Valdez to find out status of border patrol and TOW Hwy. Thanks again for your help.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
The Border station closing would be my only concern with mid September. Ice in the river should not be running by then so the ferry should still be operating I would give the border station at Port Alcan a call when you are a day or two away fom Tetlin Junction. That would be the go or no go decision point for driving the TOW.

Port Alcan - 907-774-2252

A number I have for Poker Creek on the TOW is 703-921-7752 but I am not comfortable that it is a good one or not. The Port Alcan number should be good year around.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

primetimerver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for th info Joe b. What is your recommendation as to driving TOW in mid September? I really want to take this route but am extremely nervous from all the negative feedback we've heard this summer about the conditions of the route. Also concerned about customes closing on us so we can't get to Canada, but I gess I can check on that status when we get close (in Tok)?).

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Peg Leg wrote:
The nails must have fell from someone's truck.

Yeah--the local tire guy.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
The border crossing closing only closes the Canadian side of the TOW to non-Canadians and visa versa on the US side. Mining in the 60 Mile Disrict, the Canadian side, has become more active in the last 10 years or so. The Canadian miners will be using the road until the ferry stops running because of ice running on the Yukon River. Not many mines working in the 40 Mile District, the Alaska side of the border. In the winter, snow machines driving the TOW can clear customs with some government agent in Dawson or Tok from what I understand, with a phone call ahead.

On the US side the road from Tok, Tetlin Junction, up to Eagle is open to US citizens as late as they can drive the road. Road maintenance stops in the fall, if it ever started, but this is not the land of heavy snow falls, but is the land of super cold in the winter.

The people that live on the west side of the Yukon river will be stuck till the river ice freezes thick enough to support driving on it. There has been talk for years of bridging the Yukon at Dawson, but the cost would be high for the few that would actually use it to drive the TOW in the winter. The residents of Dawson look toward Whitehorse to meet their needs, not toward Alaska, such as shopping, fuel supplies, etc.

The Border Patrol stations on the TOW are under the supervision of the stations at Beaver Creek for Canada and Port Alcan for the US. Both sides jointly decide when to close the stations on the TOW, since they share the same building complex.

The road is normally at it's best in the fall prior to the rains starting in late September that continue until the turn to snow around the first or second week of October most years in that part of the north county.
joe b.
Stuart Florida

primetimerver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Sue. We will certainly check with border patrol etched before heading that way, but as of now, not looking like we'll make it up there. We'll see but all sounds too ify that late in the year. Thanks again

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Found 2012 info for the Poker Creek (Top of the World) customs http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ak/3104.xml

Name: Poker Creek (Seasonal)
Phone: (703) 921-7752
Fax: (907) 774-2020
Operational Hours: 8:00 AM-8:00 PM(Alaska)
Seven Days A Week (7)
05/19/2012 To 09/15/2012

The Canadian customs, Little Gold Creek, doesn't list a closing date:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listing/offices/office516-e.html

Both the US and Canadian crossings close the same day.
"Weather dependent" means if it snows, it could close immediately.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
September 18? The customs might be closed by then, which means there is no crossing the border. The highway will close when customs closes. Last year when we went through on September 6, the customs agent still didn't know when the crossing would close but they had heard it would be the 17th. I don't know when it actually closed. The date varies year-to-year. Best to check before going that way. The tourist info center in Tok should know.

The road itself is usually in good driving condition in September because all repairs are complete and waiting for first snowfall to settle in.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

primetimerver
Explorer
Explorer
It is September 6 and we are in Seward. Planning on leaving on Sunday for a couple days in Homer, then head north and east toward Tok. We would like to do the TOW hwy sometime around September 18 from the Chicken side. My concerns are (1) road conditions this time of year (generally of course); and (2) I have heard many horror stories about this road, so should I be concerned about towing a 23 foot travel trailer over this road with a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

Please, if anyone has first hand knowledge of road conditions as of this date of posting, and advice/recommendations as to taking this route, I would appreciate hearing from you. Joe B, I would especially appreciate your advice as I know you have taken this route many times and perhaps as late in the year as mid-september. Thanks

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
When the wind blows the dust away, nails surface also. Probably joe b is right.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neighbourhood kids looking for excitement.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

b2egypt
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't find any Nails, but did run across 2 other Class A in Chicken that had flats the day before. One did have a nail in it. In Dawson City heading towards Whitehorse Monday... only about 4,000 miles from home. 🙂

Happy Travel Everyone Betsy
Loving Life!

b2egypt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. Heading out after we do some postcards for G-kids. Will keep you posted, when I can.

Betsy
Loving Life!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I can only remember one tire problem on the TOW Highway over the years. In 2011 we were still on the Canadian side headed for the Taylor hwy and got a puncture of a rear truck tire from a sharp rock. They had just put down some new crush shale on the area where we pulled off to have lunch. It provided something to do for a couple of hours while I changed the tire. Also pointed out why it is important to check the air pressure in your spare (which I hadn't) and why you shouldn't leave your 12 volt air compressor in your garage at homw. LOL I had my tire patch kit with me but without air, it was worthless. So we just took it slow and easy on the low pressure tire till we got to Tok.
On the half dozen or more trips over the TOW highway, this is the one that my wife and I remember the best and still laugh about. Any number of ways nails could have found their way on the roadway. Most likely is falling off a truck or trailer, going to/from one of the active mines on the road. The TOW is basiclly a mining road used by RVers as well. To many in the north country, the road is known as the 60 Mile Highway as it serves the 60 mile Mining District of Canada.
joe b.
Stuart Florida