cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newfoundland

vmoser10
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone travelled Newfoundland in a 38 ft. 5th wheel and if so did you have a problem finding campgrounds for that size RV or maneuvering on the roads?
28 REPLIES 28

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Here is one of the ferrys on an average crossing.

Yeeee Hawwwww!!

And that's why, when you book your passage, you always book a center cabin!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually the ferry crossing might be one of the highlights of the trip. Only made one ship crossing & that was a freighter no bigger than one of the ferrys from NY to Bermuda. A 3 day crossing on a near flat calm sea.

Never done a cruiseship but have done a month aboard a 65' motoryacht from Ft Lauderdale to the Exumas.

We will be crossing late May so chances of rough weather should be slim. Are vehicles secured to the deck or does that depend on weather & type of vehicle?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Re. above ferry shot, that ferry is NO LONGER AROUND!

I moved in 2008 and the ferries that were operating that year were sold and broken up after I moved. That video is from 2007.

Of course, the current ferries can face similar weather, now and again. When I lived in Newfoundland I knew what kind of weather was traveling weather and what was stay in port weather.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is one of the ferrys on an average crossing.

Yeeee Hawwwww!!

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I beg your pardon, but how the heck do you think Newfoundland and Labrador get the most of their supplies and other NEW freight ------ ships, aircraft??????? & if they went via those craft how would such get to the stores, eh??????

& that should answer any questions about diesel fuel too. & truck stops, yada, yada, yada....

I lived on Newfoundland for 24.5 years until 2008. But it costs more to travel from NL, so I crossed The Gulf, as many grandparents do.

& if you're a few Kms from a fully developed cg, there are the gravel pits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9OommJlrPY

๐Ÿ˜›
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question.........they are pull on, pull off, no backing up required.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
They are sea going vessels, with several vehicle decks, that will hold hundreds of vehicles, including 18-wheelers. On the three trips we have taken on them, all of the 18-wheelers were loaded on the upper vehicle deck. They have very nice seats, a large bar area, a restaurant and snack bar.

It is very nice ride.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
vmoser10 wrote:
Another question re ferry. Are they pull on and pull off or back in? Have travelled Ferries on the Inside Passage to Alaska, but not with this size RV. Also is it necessary to reserve campsites or are there usually sites available? Thanks all for the info.

There are numerous videos of the ferrys/ships on youtube. They are ro ro ships capable of carrying vehicles far bigger than anything we drive.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

vmoser10
Explorer
Explorer
Another question re ferry. Are they pull on and pull off or back in? Have travelled Ferries on the Inside Passage to Alaska, but not with this size RV. Also is it necessary to reserve campsites or are there usually sites available? Thanks all for the info.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Should be no problem. Mine measures 33ft from ladder to hitch. Thisnis an actual measurement. Towed it from just outside St. John's to the tip of the northern peninsula. Never had any issue, always had lots of room. I did this summer before last.

Towed the fiver with a CTD quad cab, short box.

BIL tows his 34ft TT without an issue. Your 38 will have no trouble.

Dan
Dan

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Check to see if the ferry has any places left?
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am gonna find out if a 34 5er fits this year. Not anticipating any problems. Figure CGs can't be much different than what we found in N BC or YT.

Biggest expense is the ferry.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
Did it in 2007 and 2015 in a 40' motorhome towing a pickup. No problems. Newfoundland is a really big place with real highways.

In fact arrived there via the Labrador highway last year.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Come on down my dear. There's thousands of room and the roads are plenty big for your rig! : )
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision